A box tool rest..........

Stuart Ablett

.......... "Dungeon" made too :D

box_tool_rest.JPG

I know not much, but it only took me about 15 minutes to make it, I had the 1" rod stock cut to length, and I just drilled a hole in it, tapped it, then I drilled and counter sunk a hole in the bar stock, and put the two together, I tried it out and it works fine, one thing I will do, is polish it up a bit, too many ragged edges on it.

Here is one that sells for $48.........
universal-rest_l.jpg

OK, mine does not have the gusset underneath it, but I can use mine on a smaller box :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Nope, not really I've only used this once, but on one of my new cherry boxes it was quite the reach into the box, so I figured it was high time to make one........ :wave:

Made four angels Saturday, gave two to mom, two to little sister as yesterday was their birthday. Anyway, been thinking about a lidded box for mom for Christmas. Did you make the head and hat the lid and the second and bottom snowballs your box?

Yes, I did several that way, by far the easier method of making a snowman box.

Make sure you hollow out a fair bit of the hat too, but leave enough meat in the head area to drill about 1/4" for the nose.......DAMHIKT........ :doh:

Cheers!

Great tool rest! Now ... why haven't I ever seen a tool rest like this!?! :doh:

mine does not have the gusset underneath it, but I can use mine on a smaller box :rolleyes: :D

Lee Valley seems to have had the same idea in conjunction with their [Modular Tool Rest System]. Their Box Scraper Platform (item G on that page) costs "only" $17.50, but you also need to buy one of the Threaded Posts (item E) for $13.50. That brings the total price to $31. :(

EDIT: Wait just a cotton-picking minute. $17.50 for a flat piece of steel with a threaded hole? :eek:

Last edited:
Stu,
nice work over there.
Perhaps I misunderstood however
I wonder why you
used a screw instead of welding?
It is any advantage?
Saludos
Alfredo

Yes there are several, one, there is 3" of dry wood shavings on my floor, and I'd have to clean everything up REAL well before I used the welder, second reason is I can unscrew it and put a wider rest on top, or maybe a shorter one etc, makes the rest a bit more "Modular",

Cheers!:wave:

I prefer to use two screws Stu so that I have better location for when I want to fit a longer reach bar for deeper hollowing.

I do have the advantage of starting off with a 30mm dia. tool post and normally head it with 50mm upper stem.

Why is it home made toolposts and the like seem to be more satisfying to use.

Attachments

• DSC02493.JPG
    DSC02493.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC02494.JPG
    DSC02494.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC02490.JPG
    DSC02490.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 22
VERY nice Chas, as usual!:thumb:

I was a bit worried about it twisting, you design would stop that, but it has not, and if it did, I'd just drill a hole and put a spring pin in to stop the spinning :D

Yes, home made stuff is more fun to use! :wave:

Very clever Stuart, never saw such a thing before, great help for reaching more depht objects. :thumb:

Very nice work, Stu. :thumb: Yours too, Chas.

I appreciate you posting this Stu, because now I have a legitimate reason for not turning boxes. I don't have the right tool rest. :p