Shop rearranging (again!)

Jeff Horton

Been looking at my shop and realized I have a lot of space and stuff spread out more than it has to be. Plus if I am going to start building these two kayaks (or a canoe) I needed to free up some floor space. Two 14 to 16 foot boats take up a lot of space. So I have been working in Sketchup to see what I could come up with. I think I like this. But I am not looking forward to mess I am going to have or moving all this big cast iron machines!

Here is a picture from the Sketchup file. If you have Sketchup, I posted the file on my web site. It's to big to put on here. Warning! It's a big file!

shop2a.jpg

The truck is not typically there. I keep this space mostly free so I can bring something in and work on it. I often use this area to stage a large piece I am building, but I try to keep it so I can clean up and bring in a vehicle fairly easy.

Lumber storage will move to over the RAS on the wall. By eliminating my current lumber rack, that frees up a LOT Of floor space. Everything else is pretty clear I think.

Always open to suggestions.

Never made a kayak or any other boat... but I bet you'll want (a) a mobile clamp cart, and (b) another mobile work station, some place to put tools down and maybe carry a few supplies, as you move around a large stationary project. Maybe something like this LVT plan:
05l1701s2.jpg

ps: Is that drawing correct that you have TWO posts on the left, and only ONE on the right? Did you consider mirroring the arrangement, so you only have one post in your shop area?

Jeff,
Something to consider are your typical work patterns. That's how the workshop at my previous employer was set-up. For instance, the jointer was kept near the TS so edges could be dressed and then cut on the saw. Or the panel saw near the sheet goods storage. Kind of "duh" type things, but sometimes they are missed when considering space constraints only. Once they had the work patterns defined, and the tools associated with them, then they did the layout. The guys did find a few surprises and were able to eliminate a lot of cross-shop treks for tools, or moving materials back and forth. Just a thought, I've never built a boat before, so I would not even guess at the work flow(s).

Wes

Never made a kayak or any other boat... but I bet you'll want (a) a mobile clamp cart, and (b) another mobile work station, ..........

You bring up a good point. One of the goals of this and I obviously lost sight of that was to put my bench parallel to at least one boat. I have a clamp rack on the back of bench. So that way the clamps would always be close. And as you said, I would have a work surface adjacent to the boat. And I suspect I am going to be adding a lot of small clamps to my collection too if I do start building small boats.

ps: Is that drawing correct that you have TWO posts on the left, and only ONE on the right?

Yup, that is right. The left side of the basement is wider than the right side. My span is 2 or 3 feet longer than the beam could handle. So I had add a second column. Debated about whether to put it 3 (+/-) feet off the wall or farther back like I did. It actually works pretty well where it is. Never really felt like it was in the way since I can put a machine against it. The other two columns are spaced so that the are in line with the bump out. I ran power outlets on all of them and they have worked out pretty well.

Jeff,
Something to consider are your typical work patterns. ..... Just a thought, I've never built a boat before, so I would not even guess at the work flow(s).

Totally agree. Problem is, working with such large machines it limits where you can put stuff. I pretty much have to place them and then work the rest in. Once I get things in place, like you said I tweak it some.

Had a idea last night. Going to try something else in SU before I make a commitment.

What, yours doesn't have a reverse on it?? ;)

Sharp eye!
Sure, it has reverse*...I just don't have any left-landed gouges. And the prices for left-handed sandpaper are out the roof here in California.

* Actually, the 15" Sears lathe has no reverse, so I lied. :p

I don't see a dust collection system in your shop? When I built my cedar canoe a few years back and I suffered from a severe dust allergy. Cedar is deadly and it gets everywhere. I would suggest getting a good dust collection system going and not relying on a shop vac, That and a good respirator mask. I am planning on starting my next kayak soon and have set the shop up this time with a cyclone system. No more dust !!

One thing to consider when building a boat in a basement shop - the smell!

Thirty years ago, I built a 15½ foot "Old Town" style canoe in a basement shop, during the Winter. Things went quite well during the actual woodworking, but when it was time to put the fiberglass cloth and resin on it, the resin's odor permeated the entire shop. My wife was NOT HAPPY! Worse, the smell lingered for several days.

The second boat - a kayak - was built in the shop, then taken outside (during the Summer) and glassed under a sunshade canopy. On that one, the odors weren't much of a problem, but the insects that embedded themselves in the resin were.

Drew, a Clearview is on my short list. I Just don't have $1500-$2000 for one. I pay cash so it's just got to wait. But I agree with what your saying.

One thing to consider when building a boat in a basement shop - the smell!

Funny thing is I have had very little problem with this. EXCEPT our Master Bathroom. It is over my shop bathroom. Obviously there is a hole for plumbing I have missed and not sealed that is letting air in. But other than the bathroom you never notice any shop ordors. Well, when I open the door at the top of the stairs but I sealed it so it's just when I open and close it.

Took some time away from this. Came back to it and found a few flaws. (Or to be honest I was dreading moving some of those big machines!) I tweaked it a little bit and I finally have something I happy with.

This leaves me space for a truck inside. It opens up a LOT of floor space and it most importantly it put a bench out beside the boat. And it also in a good place for when I building a piece of furniture. Not to mention I only have to move one really big piece of iron. ;)

layout 22c.jpg