Guess What?! More Cutting Boards

I think that Marc Spagnuolo should change his nickname from "The Wood Whisperer" to "The Man Who Launched A Thousand Cutting Boards"! Like so many others, I watched his video and said to myself, "I can do that!". And as it turns out, I was right. :thumb: :D

I didn't want to stray far from the original plan for these, as it was my first attempt. I had a bunch of hard maple and walnut on hand, so that's what I used. I rather like the walnut over the purpleheart for whatever reason. As it turns out, the maple actually had a little bit of spalting to it, which was a really nice surprise. Now that these are done, LOML is already placing orders for a few more, which is nice! These three will of course be Christmas presents for some family members.

I've been messing around in my garage/shop for almost four years now. Due to family and work obligations, I've never had the time to actually start and finish a woodworking project. While these aren't by any means fine woodworking, I'm exceptionally proud of these boards, and hope that they will lead to much more personal work in the future.

Thanks for looking!!

- Keith

Attachments

• Boards2 (640 x 480).jpg
    Boards2 (640 x 480).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Boards1 (640 x 480).jpg
    Boards1 (640 x 480).jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 98
Nice looking boards, Keith. :thumb: I'll be putting some up soon (gifts for my daughters for Christmas). But mine won't be quite so fancy... no channel cut in the top. I guess I'm too lazy. :eek:

I think that Marc Spagnuolo should change his nickname from "The Wood Whisperer" to "The Man Who Launched A Thousand Cutting Boards"! Like so many others, I watched his video and said to myself, "I can do that!"

Yep, Marc is pretty cool. I got to meet him and Nicole at the July show in Vegas. Very down-to-earth and unassuming (in his own wacky way). I've had the same thought ("I can do that!") several times while watching his videos. Unfortunately ...

I've been messing around in my garage/shop for almost four years now. Due to family and work obligations, I've never had the time to actually start and finish a woodworking project.

... I don't have as good an excuse as you do. No children, a (usually) 9-to-5 job. No, my excuses are more like:
  • I don't "need" anything, so why put out all the time & money & effort? :dunno:
  • I just don't have the right tools :rolleyes:
  • I don't know what I want to make :huh:
  • It's way more fun to sit at the computer and do woodworking vicariously through my friends at familywoodworking.... :wave:
None of those are good enough reasons, of course. I think it all comes down to I'M LAZY. My wife (who took over the garage for an art studio) used to have a saying from an artist/writer prominently displayed in the kitchen. It was, "GO TO YOUR STUDIO AND MAKE STUFF". I need to replace STUDIO with SHOP and hang it on my monitor or something....

===============

Enough about me. Congrats on the great-looking cutting boards! May they be the beginning of a satisfying woodworking "career". :thumb:

Last edited:
The boards all look great, Keith. The maple in particular has some real pretty figuring in it. Very nice job. :thumb:

I really like beautiful cutting boards and these are beautiful Keith. I am always afraid they might get used. Whenever I make the wife a decorative cutting board I also make a plain one so she has something to use.

Oh, she serves things on the decorative cutting boards and if they ever see a knife they only see it on one side.

Keith,

Great job on the boards! The maple you used has a really nice grain pattern. :thumb:

Those handles look kind of familar.... but I can quite place where I've seen them before. :huh: ;)

Keith,

Great job on the boards! The maple you used has a really nice grain pattern. :thumb:

Those handles look kind of familar.... but I can quite place where I've seen them before. :huh: ;)

Thanks, Sean! I was really happy with that maple. I had no idea it would have that sort of grain pattern. Nice surprise! :thumb:

As far as the handles, I had debated on making them, but am glad I did. I didn't use the technique you did (great idea, by the way :thumb: ), but instead laid the board flat, using a handheld router and clamped stop blocks. Either way, it's a functional and attractive addition, in my not-so-humble opinion... :D

- Keith