Hollowform Vase

Cody Colston

This one is from spalted Hackberry that I almost let go too long. It was a bit punky in areas and had some bug frass inside, too.

It's 7 1/2" tall x 5 1/2" wide finished with Minwax Wood Hardener and sanded to 12000 MM. The mouth started out 2" i.d. but one last touchup with that Sorby Hollowmaster forced me to widen it a bit. :)

Attachments

• Hackberry Vase 001.jpg
    Hackberry Vase 001.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Hackberry Vase 003.jpg
    Hackberry Vase 003.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 30
Cody - looks pretty good to me! I really like the form, nice grain variations and the detail work (burning) enhances the form without drawing attention away from the wood itself! Seriously nice work!

The mouth started out 2" i.d. but one last touchup with that Sorby Hollowmaster forced me to widen it a bit. :)
That's a "design opportunity". :D

Real nice, Cody! Beautiful grain. The foot is perfect for the size of the piece and has a nice taper. Nice clean lines and a smooth curve on the shoulder. I like the rim treatment too.

Two thumbs up!
:thumb::thumb:

Looks real nice, Cody. Pretty wood, and I like the details you added. :clap: I can sure relate on the spalted punkberry wood. I've had a few that were like a balsa wood/styrofoam cross.