Cabinet Hardware in SketchUp

Dave Richards

Here is a little thing I did on an approach to drawing hardware such as this drawer pull. I hope it gives you some ideas. Click on the picture.

Yeah. It took me a long time to learn that.

Here's a drawing I did before that.
steeringModified.jpg

The roller chain is drawn to scale and all parts of the links are drawn as individual components. Fortunately, since I drew the link parts as components they don't add an awful lot to the file size. Still, I went so far as to to put in as many links as were used in the real thing. Kind of geeky but I do have a PHD in Over Engineering you know. ;) :D:rofl:

Yeah. It took me a long time to learn that.

Here's a drawing I did before that.
steeringModified.jpg

The roller chain is drawn to scale and all parts of the links are drawn as individual components. . Still, I went so far as to to put in as many links as were used in the real thing. Kind of geeky but I do have a PHD in Over Engineering you know. ;) :D:rofl:
Hi Dave :wave:, Mister geeky...:rofl:
I think you could 3' X 4' these renderings for contemporary art and sell them as posters. We are talking big bucks!!!!!!! Your brains and my??? hmmm???.....:rolleyes: idea!!!!!!! E Zay Street come on!!!!!!!!!!!.......:D
Keep it up Dave,it is a gift you have been given:thumb:

11! No.....make that 19 or???? :rolleyes: with the name you are making for your self.... signed :D of course:rolleyes: maybe 42, and then since you are such a young guy I may have to wait a while ( these being considered your Early Works) to turn a real big buck, so don't expect a return on your investment any time soon............ BUT... LOOK FOR IT!:thumb:
Shaz :) "your future is my concern, now send me the money!:D...:rofl::rofl:

but,,, Yet.. I dream :rolleyes: ...I will need help from the butler getting in and the valet getting out, hmmmm .... now who has a valet?? Where can I eat that has a valet ? My Butler will help me at the house!!!!!:D JEEVES, bring Dave's . errr MY Lamborghini to the front!!!:rofl: I am off!!!!:)

Off to bed, for now but wanted to say :thumb:.......... You are a good man Dave. A wee bit geeky but that's okay.:D :rofl:
Peace and health to you and your love ones this holiday season!
Shaz :)

Dave: hello. Great sharing but I may be the first to notice out loud that you did not spell out much about actually drawing the thing. For some of us semi-beginners, there are still some unanswered thoughts about the shape of the handle, the little clips which hold it on, .... I can more easily see how to do the back plate. Upon further study, the curved handle, non-symmetrical upper and lower curve seems far from obvious.....any further words?

Thanks.

any further words?

Nope! :D

Ken, my apologies. I drew the pull using basically the same methods I used in the early part of the video showing the construction of the cap rail. I linked to that blog entry in this entry.

The basics are this:

1. Draw a large face. I started out with something around 12 feet square.
  2. Import the picture as a texture and apply it to that face making it as large as possible.
  3. Make the painted face a group or component. It doesn't matter which. It gets deleted later.
  4. I drew the plate right over the photo. Since the image is part of the group, I can draw without having the geometry stick to that face. The plate was done with a couple of arcs. One on the top edge which was copied and mirrored for the bottom edge. I drew a straight line vertically at the midpoint of the long arcs and delete the waste.
  5. The surface was pulled up to make it 3D.
  6. I used the Offset tool on the top edge of the face to create the limiter for the softening effect.You can see the offset in the white image of the pull
  7. I softened the perimeter of the plate and hid the the offset lines. It is important to hide, not soften the seam line.
  8. I made the plate half a component, copied it and mirrored the copy.
  9. the finished plate was then moved off the picture so I could see to work on the bail.
  10. The bail is done the same way although I used the Bezier curve plugin to draw the curved portion. I used a 2 degree curve for this.
  11. I drew the upper edge and added the "ear" off the left end with the Pencil tool.
  12. I used Offset to create the lower edge.
  13. I connected the left ends with a line and drew one between the midpoints of the Bezier curves.
  14. As with the plate, I deleted the waste and pulled the face up so the seam end was a square.
  15. To create the "clips" I used Push/Pull on the straight section of the bail.
  16. I drew 3-segment arcs on the top and bottom corners of the resulting block.
  17. I used Offset, softening and hiding as before.
  18. Made the bail half a component.
  19. Copied and mirrored.
  20. Then I moved the bail halves in place over the plate.

After I completed the drawing, I scaled the pull down to size. I measured across the width of the plate with the Tape Measure tool. The VCB shows the measured dimension. I typed what I wanted it to be. SketchUp asked if I wanted to resize the model to which I answered OK.

Just for fun, I added a highlight on the upper edges of the plate and the pull. I edited each component and painted it with the dark gray. Then, with the hidden lines turned on, I painted a lighter gray in those areas where I wanted the highlights to be. I wouldn't normally bother with that but I was curious about how it would look. I kind of like it.

I hope all that makes some sort of sense.

Dave