The planer saga continues

Billy Burt

Installed the new belt on my DP400 this evening, tightened the loose nut and put the machine back together. Turned it on, sounded good. Planed a 1"x7.5"x8' piece of Cherry. It worked like it always had before. Hoorah! I'm now :D again. LOML called me in for dinner so I took a break. After eating I went back out to the shop to plane a few more boards so I could go back to cutting. Turned the planer on and heard a %#*$ of a racket. Didn't sound like a smooth running planer at all. Too dark to do much and I had some other work I needed to get done, so I'll take it apart tomorrow and see what happened. I'm guessing the nut again. I think I'll loctite it in place if it is.

However, it may not be and I may have to take it to the service center (thankfully there is one here). Just thinking ahead, I don't think I want to spend much on it for repair so I was looking around for portable planer reviews and found a Metabo DH316 13" X 6" Thickness Planer listed. No reviews for it, but I think I read a post here some time back about the brand... and that it was a good one typically found in Europe. Anyone know anything about this little jewel? They're about the same price as the Dewalt 13".