Turning Pics Setup

Oops - I almost forgot to "report back"!

I was at Lowe's on Saturday and actually thought to look for 5000K fluorescent bulbs. I couldn't find any 40-watters, but I did find some 60-watters. I haven't used them for any photos yet (well, except for the ones below) but I thought folks would like to know that these bulbs really are out there.

NOTE: Some brands and models have the temperature rating on the package but not on the bulb. Some have it on the bulb but not on the package. I think every package I looked at had it in at least one of those places.

A540_0490_FullSpectrumFluorescent.jpg

A540_0490_FullSpectrumFluorescent_Detail1.jpg

A540_0490_FullSpectrumFluorescent_Detail2.jpg

Whaddadeal!

Well, you know what they say about "one born every minute". I'm it!

EDIT: I wonder if the extra 100K is part of the reason for the price difference. Hard to believe it would matter very much to the pics.

Last edited:
Hmm guess I need to upgrade my photo tent setup. Mine consists of a couch and 4 40 watt ceiling fan lights and camera flash, and me holding the camera in my hand. No wonder my pics look like junk! Never knew!!!:rofl:

Now just to get LOML to agree to let me spend $100 on the set up. any ideas on how to do that?:huh::dunno:

LOML and I have an agreement. For every dollar I spend on turning she gets to spend an equal amount on her hobbies.

Do you realize how much yarn and knitting needles it takes to equal a good lathe? :rofl:

LOML and I have an agreement. For every dollar I spend on turning she gets to spend an equal amount on her hobbies.

Do you realize how much yarn and knitting needles it takes to equal a good lathe? :rofl:
My wife's hobby is QVC. :rolleyes: I just don't tell her how much I spend on turning stuff. :D

Tyler, if you figure you'll use the photo setup on nearly every piece you turn, then by the time you've done a hundred pieces, the cost for the photo rig is only a buck per piece. ;) Or another way to look at it...if the better pics help you sell one or two pieces, the rig has paid for itself.

Hey nice angle there. My wife is on me to start really selling my stuff. I'll just tell her pics on the internet will help me get the stuff sold faster. Thanks for the tip!!!!:thumb:

As she says YEAH RIGHT!!!:doh:

I use close to the same setup as Travis has shown... my bulbs are like the ones Kerry posted (got 'em at Lowe's)... I use Microsoft's photo editor for cropping, sharpening, rotation, and resizing.

For me it was a bunch of trial and error with positioning the lights, using white boards for reflection, adjusting the distance of the camera relative to the piece I'm shooting, etc. I still don't take great pics, but they are a whole lot better than what I was doing a year ago (IMHO, of course :D).