Thread: Paneling patch

Paneling patch

I spouted off a while back about "mom's handiman" gnawing a giant hole in her paneling to hang a lamp with toggle bolts, now that she has moved and wants to selkl the house the holes in the paneling was a problem. I asked for help and was given some good ideas. SO......

I went to her house this week and armed with a jig and some tools I approached the problem. The "handiman" had gnawed some holes in the paneling for togglebolts...

I used a piece of plywood that I bored a 5/8" hole with a Forstner bit, Using double stick tape I placed the plywood over the hole. I used the guide to make a round hole and a forstner bit. Then I also matched the grain and the seam of the paneling (did I tell you I had scrap from a previous repair job)

then I used Plug cutter 5/8' to make a matching bung. Put a little glue on the edges and pressed it into place.

And the final one was....

Worked like a charm, Bill.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well done indeed!

I'd have just found a new light or a picture to hang there
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Wow. You can't even see them now. Good luck on the sale.

Great fix Bill.
    No one will ever see it if you don't point it out.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Hi Bill ,
    Nice work, that is the good news, the bad news is, I am telling everybody what a good job you did on the paneling, Sooooooooooo, sooner or later the buyer is gonna know!!! SOOOOOO sell the place, get your money and skee dattle!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Thanks guys, They were so obvious when you walked into the room, but w/o knowing where they are you don't seem to be able to find them.

You should see what else I have to do to Spiffy up the place. Under 40 year old carpet was Hardwood floors never finished. Hired by phone a fellow to rip out the carpet and finish the floors, but he left me this surprise...

Now I have to make some sort of Threshold to span this gap (5 different doors and Hallway entrances The Hall has Italian Tile and a 3/8" lip.

Then there was the basement Steps... Any threshold will trip a person, had the idiot pulled the rest of the carpet up, he would have found the top step is the same floor and all it needs is a bull nose, which I'll have to make, as well.

SWMBO has edicted that the shop will remain dust free till after the Turkey break, so I will have to be content to "Plan" But next Friday the dust will roll....

Problem with being the "Guy" and a couple hundred miles away, have to leave the checking on work to mom at 88 yrs. Used to make a bunch of trips back and forth but with gas prices my truck burns a C-note with each round trip.
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 11-17-2007 at 01:52 AM.