Flame Box Elder Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's one I finished up last week...just getting around to posting a few pics. This piece of box elder had more red than usual, and turned like butter. It's about 6" wide by 5" tall (or thereabouts...it's packed up right now and I don't feel like digging it out). The form is another attempt at a somewhat Southwest look. The finish is the usual of Antique Oil, lacquer, and three-wheel buffed.

HF040 - 06 800.jpg HF040 - 03 800.jpg HF040 - 04 800.jpg

And a shot showing the results of my new "shape it yourself" woodburning tip..misaligned, but not much you can do about it after the fact. I added the date and wood species after taking the pics:

HF040 - 01 800.jpg

As always, I'm open to comments and critiques.

Vaughn, WOW what a beauty, and what a beautiful colored wood.
Was a fun turning this piece of wood, isn't. :thumb:

Nice piece of wood, unusual style, but that that is good too, as most will get bored with the "same old same old" all the time.

I saw Jimmy Clewes turn a piece of that to make a box on one of his DVDs, he said that it is considered a "Weed" in many parts of the US :eek:

Cheers!

PS, is it my monitor, or is the focus a little off on these pic? ;) :D

That's a nice piece, Vaughn. I think you captured the Southwest look with that shape and the colors of that Box Elder just enhance the look..it literally says "Hopi."

That running VM brand is neat, too. :)

Thanks for the comments, guys.
PS, is it my monitor, or is the focus a little off on these pic? ;) :D
Nah, I'm seeing the same thing here. I may play around with them later and see if I can improve them. I took these pics in a big hurry last week as I was packing things up for a show.

I think there is no better way to display box elder with flame than in a hollow form. The curvature of the hollowform does such a nice job of showing the grain. I have tried to use it in boxes and it almost never does the best job of displaying the grain.

Wonderful work, Vaughn!:thumb: