Have a Cigar...........

Stuart Ablett

........pen.........:D

I made these two up the other night, the wood is some of my "Shrinewood" Keyaki.........

cigar_pens1.JPG cigar_pens2.JPG

The Lee Valley "Upgrade Gold Cigar (fat) Pen Kit".

Not bad, I guess..... :rolleyes:

Stuart, not bad you guess, I can tell you they are gorgeous :thumb::thumb:
I guess that I have to give that a try, at least when I can find the time :D

Thanks guys.

The Keyaki is SO hard you have to be very careful turning it, a skew is a must, as I have shattered a few of them :doh:

Thing is, off the skew it needs VERY little sanding to get to the #400, when I apply the sanding sealer, then sand to #600 and apply the CA glue, couple of thin coats, sand again at #600, lengthwise only, no turning, then, if it is smooth, no low spots (they remain shinny, and would need another thin coat of CA) then I sand to #1500. Next will be the brown/white/wax buffing, and I'm done.

Cheers!

"not bad" is an understatement. Beautiful work and wood. Your finish is excellent. The Cigar is a good choice for showing off wood.

I'm about to go in shop and drill a really delicious Big Leaf Maple Burl blank that is under 3/4"X3/4" for a Jr. Gent. If you should hear some loud :bang: you will know it blew up on me.

EDIT AND P.S.: I chickened out and went with a larger Brown Mallee burl blank. And IT BLEW OUT.
Apologies fer hijacking yer thread, Stu.

Last edited:
"not bad" is an understatement. Beautiful work and wood. Your finish is excellent. The Cigar is a good choice for showing off wood.

I'm about to go in shop and drill a really delicious Big Leaf Maple Burl blank that is under 3/4"X3/4" for a Jr. Gent. If you should hear some loud :bang: you will know it blew up on me.

EDIT AND P.S.: I chickened out and went with a larger Brown Mallee burl blank. And IT BLEW OUT.
Apologies fer hijacking yer thread, Stu.

Apology accepted only if you post some pics! ;) :D :wave:

Apology accepted only if you post some pics! ;) :D :wave:

Ye want a picture of my blow-out? :eek: ;)
OK, see below. This is a hunk of brown mallee burl. Even though I cut long, the drill hit a hard burl in the burl :( , if that makes sense.
I got an order for four Jr. Gent IIs. Specifications were to make them with "burl wood". One will be ambonya, one brown mallee, one red mallee and one stabilized spalted oak.
I had to order the kits but I keep extra tube sets on hand for things like this and will start turning, maybe today and then just assemble when the kits arrive.

Attachments

• broke burl.jpg
    broke burl.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 8