Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low cost chucks?

Low cost chucks?

I am looking at getting a low cost Chunck to start making bowls and such. I have seen many of them and not sure which on would be a good starter one that will not cost alot. Maybe less then $100 or am I dreaming? I have seven different chisels and a live center, but not sure if what else is needed.

My "bang for the buck" chuck recommendation would be the PSI Barracuda 2. The best price I've found for it is this one. (I also notice it's no longer listed on the Penn State site, so I'm guessing it's being discontinued.) There's also this set, but it uses the dual "tommy bars" to tighten the chuck, but personally, I'd spend the extra $25 to get the one-handed "chuck key" approach the Barracuda 2 offers.

The Barracuda 2 is more than you wanted to spend, but it's very cost effective compared to the other well-known chucks. You will eventually use several different jaw sets with whichever chuck you buy, but the PSI setup comes with several extra sets of jaws, for less than the cost of a most other chucks with a single set of jaws.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

A few months ago I asked almost the same question here and based on the answers I received and some other research that I did, I bought this $85.00 (on sale) chuck from BusyBee (probably available in an identical part under a different # from Grizzly or PSI):

B2545 Chuck

As this chuck will accept the OneWay parts, I also bought these jaws, which cost more than the chuck, but have already come in handy:

OneWay Jumbo Jaws

As a set of chuck and jaws for a beginner (me ), they have worked very well and I have yet to see a fault with them.

cheers

Al, I agree with Vaughn about the Barracuda II being a good chuck for the money. I have one and use it on a Delta Midi. It comes with 4 sets of jaws and a nice case to keep it all from getting lost in the shavings. That said, it is one of those cases of 'you get what you pay for'. I also have a more expensive Oneway Talon which is comparable in size to the Barracuda II but seems to be significantly more heavy duty. The chuck key is larger, the screws to hold the jaws on are larger, the jaws themselves are heavier. And it uses a threaded insert so it can be changed to fit almost any lathe spindle. By the time you bought all the jaws for the Talon it would cost nearly double the price of the Barracuda II. But for a lighter duty, less expensive chuck, the Barracuda does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    [...] the PSI Barracuda 2 [... is] no longer listed on the Penn State site, so I'm guessing it's being discontinued
    Huh? Look [HERE] and [HERE].

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Burton View Post
    Huh? Look [HERE] and [HERE].
    I just knew they had it hiding there somewhere. I went the obvious route (Home Lathes & Accessories Lathe Chucks Barracuda Lathe Chucks) and it's not listed. The PSI site is wonky in its navigation.

workingwoods.com

Ditto what Vaughn said. I have one and I love it. It is a good buy for the money.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I went the obvious route (Home Lathes & Accessories Lathe Chucks Barracuda Lathe Chucks) and it's not listed.
    Not to beat a dead duck, but that's exactly how I got to the first page I linked to. Weird... When you arrive at the Barracuda Lathe Chucks page, is the 3rd item in the 1st column NOT the Barracuda2 Key Chuck System? (For me, the Powergrip Barracuda 4 System is the 5th item in the 2nd column.)

====================

Anyway.... BUY one Al, you'll like it!

Am I the only one who saw the title of this thread and thought,
    "Hmmm...time for a trip to Trader Joes."?

(http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in556620.shtml)
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Burton View Post
    Not to beat a dead duck, but that's exactly how I got to the first page I linked to. Weird... When you arrive at the Barracuda Lathe Chucks page, is the 3rd item in the 1st column NOT the Barracuda2 Key Chuck System? (For me, the Powergrip Barracuda 4 System is the 5th item in the 2nd column.)...

Doh! It was there all the time. I was looking for the red handles in the pics. Some day perhaps I'll learn to read.

workingwoods.com