Low cost chucks?

Al killian

I am looking at getting a low cost Chunck to start making bowls and such. I have seen many of them and not sure which on would be a good starter one that will not cost alot. Maybe less then $100 or am I dreaming? I have seven different chisels and a live center, but not sure if what else is needed.

My "bang for the buck" chuck recommendation would be the PSI Barracuda 2. The best price I've found for it is this one. (I also notice it's no longer listed on the Penn State site, so I'm guessing it's being discontinued.) There's also this set, but it uses the dual "tommy bars" to tighten the chuck, but personally, I'd spend the extra $25 to get the one-handed "chuck key" approach the Barracuda 2 offers.

The Barracuda 2 is more than you wanted to spend, but it's very cost effective compared to the other well-known chucks. You will eventually use several different jaw sets with whichever chuck you buy, but the PSI setup comes with several extra sets of jaws, for less than the cost of a most other chucks with a single set of jaws.

A few months ago I asked almost the same question here and based on the answers I received and some other research that I did, I bought this $85.00 (on sale) chuck from BusyBee (probably available in an identical part under a different # from Grizzly or PSI):

B2545 Chuck

As this chuck will accept the OneWay parts, I also bought these jaws, which cost more than the chuck, but have already come in handy:

OneWay Jumbo Jaws

As a set of chuck and jaws for a beginner (me :)), they have worked very well and I have yet to see a fault with them.

cheers

Al, I agree with Vaughn about the Barracuda II being a good chuck for the money. I have one and use it on a Delta Midi. It comes with 4 sets of jaws and a nice case to keep it all from getting lost in the shavings. That said, it is one of those cases of 'you get what you pay for'. I also have a more expensive Oneway Talon which is comparable in size to the Barracuda II but seems to be significantly more heavy duty. The chuck key is larger, the screws to hold the jaws on are larger, the jaws themselves are heavier. And it uses a threaded insert so it can be changed to fit almost any lathe spindle. By the time you bought all the jaws for the Talon it would cost nearly double the price of the Barracuda II. But for a lighter duty, less expensive chuck, the Barracuda does a great job.

I went the obvious route (Home » Lathes & Accessories » Lathe Chucks » Barracuda Lathe Chucks) and it's not listed.

Not to beat a dead duck, but that's exactly how I got to the first page I linked to. :huh: Weird... When you arrive at the Barracuda Lathe Chucks page, is the 3rd item in the 1st column NOT the Barracuda2 Key Chuck System? :dunno: (For me, the Powergrip Barracuda 4 System is the 5th item in the 2nd column.)

====================

Anyway.... BUY one Al, you'll like it! :thumb:

Not to beat a dead duck, but that's exactly how I got to the first page I linked to. :huh: Weird... When you arrive at the Barracuda Lathe Chucks page, is the 3rd item in the 1st column NOT the Barracuda2 Key Chuck System? :dunno: (For me, the Powergrip Barracuda 4 System is the 5th item in the 2nd column.)...
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Doh! It was there all the time. I was looking for the red handles in the pics. Some day perhaps I'll learn to read. :rolleyes:

Stu I bought the $99 dollar Grizzly chuck because it would take all my Vicmarc jaws. So I bought a second one so I don't have to keep changing jaws. I think that Grizzly chuck is a knock off of the small Vicmarc.

Well, I will have to see it I can come up with the $150 to get the Barracuda Lathe Chuck. With the cost of copper(2.80 lb) maybe I will have to make a trip to the scrap yard.:)

Check amazon for the chuck. I just got mine in. With a live center for my tail stock, spindle adapter, and the barracuda 2 it came out to 194 with shipping. $35 less than PSI. I would rather support PSI directly, but I have to take care of my wallet more.:D

I have the barracuda chuck, and also got the "jumbo" jaws for it. I haven't actually measured the size that they can hold, but its okay, for how little they cost as an add-on to an already inexpensive chuck. I just figured that I really would like a beefier chuck, but I probably didn't need it for my smallish lathe. It has a (soon to be slightly modified) 14/11" swing--14 over a small gap.

Be forewarned: the bumper-screws that hold the bowl on the jumbo jaws are very brittle. I barely touched one with the end of my gouge handle as I turned my body to the right to adjust the tailstock & it broke, & the bowl went flying. I had planned to replace them anyway with some sort of rubber cane type bumper, but now I've got to go and find a tiny screw extractor, b/c I don't have one small enough to get the broken screw out with!!

Sorry to thread hijack. Just had to rant a little bit. I'm a newbie, and I make careless mistakes sometimes. Should've been more careful. For what its worth, I like the chuck. its a lot of bang for the buck, in my humble opinion.

No need for apologies, Nathan. You'll notice a lot of threads around here start in one place and might visit several more before they are done. Rants are all part of the info we share. ;)

Now that I have permission ;) from Vaughn to highjack the thread..... :rolleyes:
As soon as my tool cookie jar is replenished, I'll be buying a large chuck. Was settled on the PSI Barracuda 3. Then I noticed that the new 'cuda 4 is in the PSI catalog. I think it is just a bit larger. That might be what I want, not sure. But, to complicate things. The 3 is offered at a great sale price on Amazon.
I already have the PSI GMC3 mini-chuck so with the new Griz lathe I'm ready to spin with the big boys.
Enney input/opinions on the 'cuda 3 vs. 4 matter?

p.s. I'm not considering the Grizzly chucks. Seems most times they are mentioned, those with experience with them start cussing. I already have a big Griz three-jaw chuck and am just waiting for the day I buy a boat so I can use it for an anchor. :(

I have the Barracuda 2 chuck and like it, especially when I consider the price. The only negative I have about it is the limited selection of jaws - basically, the jaws that come with it are all that are available (at least as far as I know).

I recently purchased a SuperNova2 chuck (in addition to the Barracuda) so I could get access to a wider selection of jaws. Of course, the SuperNova2 is more expensive and the jaws have to be purchased separately - which makes the "system" a LOT more expensive.

Mike

Frank, if this is for your new lathe you might check the headstock threads on the barracuda 3 is only 3/4x16 and 1x8. I think the # 4 is 1 1/2 x 8.
Bob

Now that I have permission ;) from Vaughn to highjack the thread..... :rolleyes:
As soon as my tool cookie jar is replenished, I'll be buying a large chuck. Was settled on the PSI Barracuda 3. Then I noticed that the new 'cuda 4 is in the PSI catalog. I think it is just a bit larger. That might be what I want, not sure. But, to complicate things. The 3 is offered at a great sale price on Amazon.
I already have the PSI GMC3 mini-chuck so with the new Griz lathe I'm ready to spin with the big boys.
Enney input/opinions on the 'cuda 3 vs. 4 matter?

p.s. I'm not considering the Grizzly chucks. Seems most times they are mentioned, those with experience with them start cussing. I already have a big Griz three-jaw chuck and am just waiting for the day I buy a boat so I can use it for an anchor. :(