Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dye........?

Dye........?

I'm having trouble finding the aniline dyes here, so I was wondering if the dye used to dye clothing would work?

I CAN get Rit here.....Hmmm....

I just looked on the www.Ritdye.com site and they say you can dye wood, but the dye should be HOT to work correctly.....

Anyone ever try Rit on wood?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I haven't done it myself, but I found [a post on penturners.org] which implies that RIT will work:

Quote Originally Posted by redfishsc
    Stick with a straight dye (like regular old grocery store RIT dye or solvent-based aniline dyes from www.woodturnerscatalog.com or somewhere similar. A good alcohol or acetone based dye will dry superfast and will be ready to finish in less than a minute. The color will look great-- you can mix them as well to get the color you want.
    I assume that the "you can mix them ... to get the color you want" comment applies to RIT dyes as well as aniline and other dyes.

Thanks Kerry!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, in one of the books I have it is mentioned that you can use silk dyes on wood. I bet you can find those where you are.

I am sure aniline dyes are used in Japan. I cannot imagine what else would be used these days. I prefer using those dyes that are dissolved in alcohol as they don't raise the grain as much. You also have to be careful if you use steel wool as any water based dye will cause the tiniest fragment of steel to rust and leave an ugly spot on your work. DAMHIKT.....
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Thanks for the info Mike, I too would rather use the dyes I can mix with alcohol for the reasons you state.

My wife and I looked up the "Aniline Dye" here on the web, and they are listed as a poison, so maybe I can't get them?

I will look for the silk dye, thanks!
    William Arthur Ward

I tried Rit dye, while it works I found that the color wasn't deep enough

Thanks Ron!
    William Arthur Ward

Stu I have used the RIT dye and I agree with Ron it did not seem to go in deep. Also if you use a water based dye it will definitely raise the grain on the wood where if you use the Aniline alcohol based dyes it won't raise the grain and dries fast. I used the RIT dye on a piece of maple and by the time you get it sanded smooth from it raising the grain of the wood I had sanded thru the dye in several places. I had not thought to see if a person could mix the RIT dye with denatured alcohol or not. Just my experience.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 11-17-2007 at 03:10 PM.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Something to keep in mind, water based dyes don't fade as quick as alcohol based dyes.

From what I have read most fabric dyes are supposed to be heat set.

Leather dyes I have heard work well and may be available locally.