Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downside to a PC690 in a router table?

Downside to a PC690 in a router table?

Hey folks...

I'm planning a trip south in just over a week for a two week family trip.
    And as always, I have a quick look at Amazon and Woodcraft to see if there is anything that I'd like to order and pickup while in the States.

Amazon currently has the PC690 router for all of $96. That's a tough deal to beat.

I've been wanting to pick up a simple 1/2" collet router for my router table and it looks like this might be the one.

I know I've read of other people who use this router in a table. However, the forums are also full of folks with cadillac router tables and fancy router lifts and all of that.

So really, what are the downsides of using a PC690 in a table? Bit changes take a bit longer, and you don't get super-fine height adjustment ability, I know that. What else?

thanks.
    ...art

I used my PC 690 in a table for a while before I got the M12v, and it did just fine for me. I was using it for simple roundovers and rabbet cuts -- not making raised panel entry doors -- and it never missed a beat. For the sale price, it's worth it just to have a second handheld router. Using it in a table would be a bonus.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Geez Vaughn, what is it, 5am on the left-coast? What are you doing up!!

...art

ps: thanks for the comments, that's about what I thought. For a low-use hobbiest I think it's a good deal. But I wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Geez Vaughn, what is it, 5am on the left-coast? What are you doing up!! ...
    Getting ready to hit the hay. Lot of work tonight.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Art, I use my PC 690 in a table and it has never failed me. I use it for round overs and basic (simple) shaping, I do a lot of pattern cutting with a template. Eventually I'll get a second router dedicated to the table (I only have one router) and it will most likely be a 2.5+ HP.

Tony, BCE '75

Art,

Look at this. You can also get a PC 343 ROS free with the order if you hurry. Look under Special Offers just down the page a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-6...5309046&sr=8-1

The single speed is a negative but hardly a show-stopper. There are a lot of combination and even toss-one-in-free deals going on with the 690 as it is rumored to be retiring (which would also not be a show-stopper).

As far as power, they are a stout, small, hand-held router and in that arena they have been almost a standard for decades. I would see no problem using it in a router table. He probably won't care for 3 1/2" cutters but how often would you do raised panels?

I've seen the large Freud which is much better suited to the table for $120 or so but don't know if this is online only. http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_101207.htm
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-17-2007 at 02:41 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Allen:

Hooo ha! Many thanks for this tip. First one I have taken advantage of and what a deal. Just great. Mucho thanks.
    Ken

Any time Ken. It was such a good deal that I could not resist buying one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post
    Art,

Look at this. You can also get a PC 343 ROS free with the order if you hurry. Look under Special Offers just down the page a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-6...5309046&sr=8-1
    Yeah I stumbled upon that on another forum... Which is why I'm itching to get the "A-Ok" email from my buddy down in NC so that I can pull the trigger on this. Very good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico View Post
    Art, I use my PC 690 in a table and it has never failed me. I use it for round overs and basic (simple) shaping, I do a lot of pattern cutting with a template. Eventually I'll get a second router dedicated to the table (I only have one router) and it will most likely be a 2.5+ HP.
    Thanks Tony. As a low-use hobbiest, this is pretty much what I was thinking as well.

...art