Question About Lathe's

Scott Custer

Gentlemen & Ladies,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been on a couple of others for awhile, If you have read my intro you will see that I've mentioned getting a Lathe (probably this spring when we all get our tax returns, other wise known here as TOOL TIME) anyways, I currently buy my turned legs or bases for tables from various suppliers (cabriole legs I make myself) but I would like to do my own legs and maybe get into a few other things for which I need a lathe and possibly a duplicator attachment. Now I know that a lathe will just be the start as I will need a good chuck or two, gouges and what not, But what would you all recommend? I'm looking to spend about 1000.00 to 1300.00 (total) I'm just begining but I dont really want a starter lathe that I will just outgrow in a year, So with that said would you all mind sharing suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Last edited:
Scott,

The lathe is actually the cheapest part of the move into turning. Here's some things you will need to start turning. I'm sure others will add to it.

1. a 3/4" roughing gouge
2. a 3/8" spindle gouge
3. A good chuck and jaws
4. a 1/8" parting tool
5. a 3/4" skew
6. a slow speed grinder
7. a sharpening jig either a Oneway Wolverine jig system or similar
8. a 3/8" bowl gouge
9. a flat end scraper
10. a round nose scraper
11. a sanding multi-pack (1" wide rolls of various grits)
12. a face shield

There's a starting list and I'm sure others will add to it.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are doing good research. For your situation I agree with starting in the middle rather than upgrading sooner.

For table legs you obviously need a full-size lathe with lots of bed length. For that market the biggest challenge will be your budget. As I'm sure you know, the lathe is only a small part of your total investment. There are quite a few full-size lathes in the <$1K price point (HF, Palmgren, Jet, Grizzly, Craftsman, etc) but they all come with significant compromises that leave most folks wanting to upgrade fairly quickly. IMO the quality machines start in the $1500 range and go up from there.

I don't mean to sound like a "tool snob" with that last statement. But the reality is that there is a huge "quality gap" between mini lathes (many of which are excellent) and good quality full-size machines. A few of the <$1K machines might work fine for you if all you are planning on doing is table legs and such. But as you get more into turning you would probably find them limiting.

I'm not familiar with the duplicators on the market but that requirement might be a deciding factor on which lathe(s) to look at. I'd start by doing some research on them and find out which lathes they work best with. I could imagine that some lathes would be out-of-scope for the duplicator you choose.

Best of luck with your decision!

EDIT: In the interest of full-disclosure I should add that I drive one of the under $1K lathes: a Jet 1442. It's a good lathe and IMO a best-of-breed for under $1K but at ~$900 it's already near your total budget and has its limitations (i.e. it has an older Reeves drive system and doesn't have many bells-and-whistles). I've often wished I had gone with at least a Jet 1642 or better. A PM3520B will probably be my next lathe.

Last edited:
I'd look hard at the Nova 16-24, it is a good lathe, and with one extension bed, you can easily do all the table legs you want, but I will also agree with Neal that for a little more money you get a lot more lathe.

Have you looked at used?

A good old Delta or such, can be fairly cheap, and then if you add a VFD and good motor, you will still be within your budget and have a great lathe.

True the various bits and pieces along the way add up, the but they can be had one piece at a time.

I plan on spending about $100 to $150 bucks a month on my lathe stuff, and I usually keep well within that limit......."USUALLY"....:rolleyes:

Thing is, for table legs etc, you need a good roughing gouge, a couple of spindle gouges and a decent skew, that will get you started, and I understand that the "Starter" sets are good value, as the other thing you need to do is learn how to sharpen your tools, and it makes little sense to learn on expensive tools.

Anyway, welcome to the Vortex, keep asking them questions! :wave:

Welcome to the clubhouse, Scott. :wave:

I can't believe I'm suggesting it, but I noticed this at Sears last night. If you really plan on needing a duplicator, that's probably the lowest priced entry point I've seen. I have that lathe (without the duplicator), and mine has been pretty capable, but I know others who have had problems with theirs. I will be upgrading this lathe.

The Nova 16-24 has been well received by a lot of folks. Neal has sound advice about the price points, too.

You will find folks pretty brand loyal to what they have. Understandable as they made a decision originally to buy Brand XYZ or whatever.
My current, and first, lathe is the Grizzly G1067Z, about $400.00. It will do whatever you want, except larger bowls. Not much power and slowest low speed is 600 rpm. Out of balance blocks at that speed will take your house off the foundation. But, for price, probably best value on the market. I have thousands of hours on mine and don't regret the purchase. However, I'm about to move up to the Grizzly G0632 or Jet 16-42, both essentially same machine. At $1200.00 from Griz and (depending on sales) $1400.00-$1900.00 for the Jet. Much more powerful and variable speed down to zero rpm. I think duplicators are in the $500.00 price range, never shopped for one. That's an extra. Let us know what you do.

I've owned 7 lathes and currently have a PM3520a with every factory attachment they make as well as a Oneway 1224. I have experience with every major brand other than VB and can say this unequivocally, The lathe is the one tool where what you spend on it will directly influence how much you actually enjoy using the tool. As Ken said early on, the lathe will be the "cheapest part of the deal." Good turning tools and the tons of accessories are what add up. I would strongly suggest that the first thing you should do is go to a local wood turning club meeting and you can find one in your location by going here:

www.woodturner.org

By doing this you can meet people who will allow you to try their lathes so you can get a feel for what you like. Second, it gives you a venue for good used lathes. I say that because your price line for this endeavor is more tuned to a good used Jet VS1442. I would suggest that if a new lathe is how you want to go, then if you are really serious about this, start saving more money. More than any other power tool, the quality of a lathe is directly proportional to it's price...

I totally agree with Chris. First thing since you said it wouldn't be till spring go to a turning club. Get to know some of the people and talk to them about lathes, tools, etc. If I knew back a couple of years ago what I know now I could have saved myself a lot of bucks and been where I am now a long time ago.

Scott, the more I think about it, the more I want to recant my suggestion about the Sears lathe. Although mine has given me something to start with, as I said, I will definitely be upgrading to a "real" lathe as soon as I can. I agree with the advice the others have offered about checking out a turning club and getting to know the used market a bit better. (I got my Sears lathe used, and only paid about half the retail price. I paid for it with the first ten or so pens I sold.)

Yep, a turning club is the way to go, for sure. Upgrading here in Japan and getting a good deal on a used lathe is almost nonexistent, as most of the guys in my club, their first lathe was a Vicmarc VL300 :eek:

But in the US etc, yeah, that is the way to go. Not only that, if you show up at a meeting or two, and get to know some of the members, you might just find that one of the members is thinking of upgrading, but, if he has a buyer for his old lathe (you) standing right there, money in hand, it might just be enough to push him to upgrade, never know.

A club is the best advice.

Cheers!

When you go into work on Monday, have the HR people change the withholding amount on your check to the most you think you can get away with. That way you'll have a little more to work with when "tool time" comes along. And believe me you'll need it.

Sounds like you're already pretty heavily immersed in woodworking so you know how the quality of the tool relates to the outcome of the project. My only suggestion would be to get a lathe that will safely handle the size of turnings you'll be doing. Size does matter. Some of the mini lathes with bed extensions will turn table legs and other spindle work just fine. But it's only a matter of time until you'll make the fatal mistake of trying a bowl or something and then you're gonna start thinking about upping that federal withholding again.

scott, when you said "duplicator" you opened up a whole `nuther feild of lathes....most lathes are designed for either use as a lathe or as a duplicator and in my experience the aftermarket duplicators aren`t worth the powder to blow `em up......duplicator lathes can be used freehand....somewhat.......and regular lathes can be outfitted with the aftermarket set-ups....but to the best of my knowledge a "one lathe that does all well" just doesn`t exist?
so before anybody can offer any advice that really pertains to your situation you need to decide just what your intended uses are? do you want to run repeatitive furniture parts? or do freehand artsy stuff?

I noticed this on another board...........

PlatinumSeriesLathe.jpg

Laguna Tools - Platinum Series Lathes

18/47 Variable Speed Lathe
2 HP DC variable speed with 2 step polygroove belt
18" max diameter
47" between centers
Sliding headstock
6" faceplate
#2 MT

$1695

Apparently this is a temporary "Introductory Offer".......... :dunno:

Darn, Stu,

Why'd you have to go and post that? ;)

I had my sights set on another, but now... ;) How could anyone not want that one? Now my life is once again incomplete, and it's all your fault! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Sorry Bill............... :rolleyes:

No, no, really, I am............. ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think that if one could snatch it at that price, heck, it would be a great deal. I understand the regular price is another $1100 :eek:

No hand wheel? Can anyone tell if the spindle is "hollow" all the way through the headstock?

According to the [Laguna website], the two speed ranges are 130-1500 rpm and 330-4,000 rpm.

I wasnt able to find a manual, but you can "request more info and FREE DVD" from that page. :huh:

Last edited:
Good luck getting more lit on this. I ordered the DVD and a brochure packet. Got all sorts of info on everything BUT this lathe. It's still too new.

I think the jury is still out on this machine. There's a good thread on it on the Woodturner's Resource board. Some good questions are being raised.

(I assume I can refer to another board as long as I don't post a link? If not, feel free to delete.)