Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A minor(?) "gloat"

A minor(?) "gloat"

This is what I picked up at Timberline today ... the last day of their annual 4-day sale event:

Along with the DeWalt scrollsaw (I forgot to include the matching work light in the pic. ) and the set of small diamond hones, I picked up some exotic woods to use for small turnings or accents or whatever.

The pieces on top of the box are Red Heart and Granadillo . The cabbage sack contains "exotic wood cut offs". They had 4 or 5 such bags. I peeked in a couple of them, but when I found a decent-sized chunk of Purple Heart in this bag, that was good enough for me. The bag is pretty heavy; I bet I did better than $1 a pound. If only the various chunks were labeled....

I'd consider that haul to be more than "minor". You snagged some good stuff all around. I use my little diamond hones all the time, the bag o' mystery wood should be a lot of fun, and the scroll saw is sweet. You'll be having some fun.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Kerry, you are REALLY going to like that scroll saw - it's the same one I have, and it's a good saw. I'm using Artisan-brand blades in mine and it hums like a Swiss watch. I had to look 3 or 4 times at that bag before I realized what it was/is. What a nice haul on the wood---looks like some good turning stock in there!!

Nancy (33 days)
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Man, I'm jealous of the scroll saw. My Dremel broke and the company in being a little bit of a pain on working with me to get it fixed. Congrats!

Well done Kerry. That "bag of tricks" should be fun to work with and the scroll saw is a gem.

Nice Haul Kerry ,
    A gloat is a gloat, you got it and we don't! Good for you...
    Photos must follow that bag!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Thanks everybody!

I got the saw for $350, which from what I see on the Internet is a not-so-minor "price gloat" all by itself. The box is a little beat up, so I'm hoping to find all well inside.

I'll definitely work on getting photos of the "cabbage wood". I'm taking most of next week off, so maybe I can start that long-overdue shop reorg and find (er, make) a place for the saw. Fingers crossed!

Kerry - that price is DEFINITELY gloatable--my price is over $500, plus the light.

That saw, at that price, has definitely earned you a great big honking

YOU SUCK!!
    Enjoy it!!! And I'm looking forward to the pictures of all the turning blanks you got!!!

Nancy (33 days)
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Wow - scored my first "suck rating" ... I feel like I've arrived!

Well, I got the new scrollsaw set up. It appeared to have been "handled" before ... so I need to call Timberline and ask a few questions.

On the plus side, there were a couple extra packs of scrollsaw blades in the box. They were labeled like they were pulled right off the Timberline shelves and tossed in. No way to tell if they were a "gift" to the previous owner or something the PO paid for and returned along with the saw. I say "returned" because ...

... the only thing that's obviously wrong with it is that the blower tube thingy is not attached, and there appears to be no way to attach it:

The manual shows something like a hex nut at the attachment point:

On the "I'm not sure if this is a problem or not" list is the fact that I can tilt the (locked-in-position) table to the left and right if I exert a bit of pressure. I'm hoping that Nancy (and any others who own the saw) can view the following 50-second, 2MB video and send some feedback before I contact Timberline.
    Thanks in advance!