A minor(?) "gloat"

Kerry Burton

This is what I picked up at Timberline today ... the last day of their annual 4-day sale event:

A540_0488_DeWaltScrollsaw_DiamondHones_ExoticHardwoods.jpg

Along with the DeWalt scrollsaw (I forgot to include the matching work light in the pic. :doh:) and the set of small diamond hones, I picked up some exotic woods to use for small turnings or accents or whatever.

The pieces on top of the box are Red Heart :thumb: and Granadillo :dunno:. The cabbage sack contains "exotic wood cut offs". They had 4 or 5 such bags. I peeked in a couple of them, but when I found a decent-sized chunk of Purple Heart in this bag, that was good enough for me. The bag is pretty heavy; I bet I did better than $1 a pound. :D If only the various chunks were labeled.... :huh:

I'd consider that haul to be more than "minor". You snagged some good stuff all around. I use my little diamond hones all the time, the bag o' mystery wood should be a lot of fun, and the scroll saw is sweet. You'll be having some fun. :D

Kerry, you are REALLY going to like that scroll saw - it's the same one I have, and it's a good saw. I'm using Artisan-brand blades in mine and it hums like a Swiss watch. I had to look 3 or 4 times at that bag before I realized what it was/is. What a nice haul on the wood---looks like some good turning stock in there!!

Nancy (33 days)

Man, I'm jealous of the scroll saw. My Dremel broke and the company in being a little bit of a pain on working with me to get it fixed. Congrats!

Thanks everybody! :wave:

I got the saw for $350, which from what I see on the Internet is a not-so-minor "price gloat" all by itself. The box is a little beat up, so I'm hoping to find all well inside.

I'll definitely work on getting photos of the "cabbage wood". :rolleyes: I'm taking most of next week off, so maybe I can start that long-overdue shop reorg and find (er, make) a place for the saw. Fingers crossed!

Kerry - that price is DEFINITELY gloatable--my price is over $500, plus the light.

That saw, at that price, has definitely earned you a great big honking

YOU SUCK!!
Enjoy it!!! And I'm looking forward to the pictures of all the turning blanks you got!!!:rofl:

Nancy (33 days)​

Well, I got the new scrollsaw set up. It appeared to have been "handled" before ... so I need to call Timberline and ask a few questions.

On the plus side, there were a couple extra packs of scrollsaw blades in the box. They were labeled like they were pulled right off the Timberline shelves and tossed in. No way to tell if they were a "gift" to the previous owner or something the PO paid for and returned along with the saw. I say "returned" because ...

... the only thing that's obviously wrong with it is that the blower tube thingy is not attached, and there appears to be no way to attach it:

A540_0491_DeWaltScrollsaw_BlowerNotAttached.jpg

The manual shows something like a hex nut at the attachment point:

Scan_DeWaltScrollsaw_BlowerAttachmentPoint.jpg

On the "I'm not sure if this is a problem or not" list is the fact that I can tilt the (locked-in-position) table to the left and right if I exert a bit of pressure. I'm hoping that Nancy (and any others who own the saw) can view the following 50-second, 2MB video and send some feedback before I contact Timberline.
Thanks in advance!

Kerry, the blower tube looks like it's a snap fit onto the fitting on the saw body. In looking at the picture of your saw, I don't see where a hex head fitting would screw on. My drill press has a very similar flex tube for the (useless) LED light, and it became unattached during shipping. It was simply a matter of snapping it back on. It took a pretty sizable amount of force to get it on, but when it's in place it goes on with a firm snap.

Sorry I can't help with the table question.

[...] the blower tube looks like it's a snap fit onto the fitting on the saw body.

I actually entertained that as a possibility, and even made a half-hearted attempt to push the tube onto the fitting. But before I give it a really GOOD push I'd like to hear from other owners, to see if the manual is inaccurate or what.

Thanks Vaughn, I appreciate the reply! :wave: If I don't get additional feedback by tomorrow evening, listen for the "SNAP"! :rolleyes:

I actually entertained that as a possibility, and even made a half-hearted attempt to push the tube onto the fitting. But before I give it a really GOOD push I'd like to hear from other owners, to see if the manual is inaccurate or what.

Thanks Vaughn, I appreciate the reply! :wave: If I don't get additional feedback by tomorrow evening, listen for the "SNAP"! :rolleyes:
If it's any reassurance, when I first tried attaching mine, I was thinking the was no way that socket would fit over over the ball.

Well, my minor gloat turned into a major one today. I took the DeWalt scrollsaw back to Timberline (so I could show the problem rather than just talk about it over the phone). The first clerk I talked to was pretty helpful, but noted that the just-assembled-today demo saw in the store had some "wiggle" in the table as well. Even so, he was willing to exchange the saw.

Before we got to that point I was "handed off" to Richard, one of the managers and a guy I've seen there for years. After some more talking, he said it would be no problem at all to swap saws. He went in the back and came out with a box still in the shrink wrap and walked it to my car.

It wasn't until he saw the stuff that came with my first saw that he realized what must have happened. (It turned out that the extra sets of blades weren't from Timberline; they appeared to have Woodcraft-style price labels on them.) He said it was unacceptable that I had received what appeared to be a returned saw. His guess was that someone returned it, it got placed on top of a stack somewhere, and when I came along and paid for one, the returned saw was just pulled from the top of the stack. :eek:

When it came out that I had done some demo-ing in the store (with our local woodturning club) during their recent annual sale, he asked if I had been compensated in any way.
"Well, they gave me a couple bucks off the work light."

"No," he said, "we usually offer something like $50 of store credit. A lot of the demonstrators won't accept it and that makes us mad."

"$50? That's not necessary. I'll just take those extra saw blades, if you don't mind."

"Sure, no problem. But no, really, what's your name?"

I told him.

"Here you go," he said, handing me a form with $100 CREDIT written on it.

"Holy Moley!" says I. "You must have done really well with the sale."

"We always do this for our demonstrators," he says.​
I'm thinking that maybe the "extra" $50 might have had something to do with the saw fiasco, but I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. As I thank him and head out the door, he reminds me that they'll be supplying some good door prizes for our turning club's Christmas party next month.

Need I say that they have customer for life? :thumb:

I set up the brand new saw tonight, and sure enough -- the table does wiggle a little bit. But only about half as bad as the first one, and now I know that it's not due to handling by a previous owner.

[Nancy, don't let it bother you that I effectively got the DeWalt for $250. :wave: That won't really be true until I cash in my $100 credit for something that I would have bought from the store anyway, right? :rolleyes:]

PS - The blower tube came pre-attached on the new saw. Whew!

Kerry, you bought some nice stuff. Saw the small video, maybe a big washer will do it, by getting than more clamping, than only with the bolt.
Not bad a full bag of excotic wood for only 50 bucks, good deal !

Yeah Kerry, I think this no longer qualifies in any way, shape or form as a "minor" gloat. Congrats on finding a good store manager who knows the value of treating customers (and sales partners, which is what a demonstrator is) well. :thumb:

I guess we can add Timberline to the list of places to shop that have good customer service. :clap:

Tell Richard "Thanks" from me, all the way over in Japan, just knowing there are guys like him still out there, give us all hope! :D

Great deal on that saw for sure!!! I've got two and they work fine....although I dream of an Eclipse someday.

I'm assuming you figured out your blower hose....just push it in. And try disassembling and reassembling the table........your wiggle should go away once you hit the "sweet" spot!

Kerry - I'm glad it worked out, and it was as I suspected--they sold you a returned saw. Now, get some good Artisan blades and you'll be in scrolling heaven. :thumb:

Nancy (21 days)