NOT Round........

Stuart Ablett

........not flatwork either :D

square2.JPG
Small square plate, maybe 4" wide?

Neat little project, learned a lot doing it.

The wood is Japanese Evergreen Oak which is a bit too flexible for this, and a bit soft.

square1.JPG
Sorry this shot is out of focus :eek:

Sanding sealer, two coats of rattle can lacquer, will buff it in a day or so.

Cheers!

A nice try Stuart.
4'' sqaire is to small for a fruitdish, isn't, else......)))
Have fun.

Ad :D:thumb::wave:

Nice, reminds me of a "dish" for folded Dinner Towel . Perhaps a classy soap dish, or the usual candy server or place to empty pockets at night.

I like it and thanks for posting. :thumb:

Pretty cool! :thumb:

You know how some folks have been experimenting with a "beaded" circular foot that they then carve down to three separate feet? I wonder how a four-sided item like this would look with four arc-shaped feet? (Facing the edges? Facing the corners? Dunno!)

Or maybe even two not-quite semi-circular feet? :dunno:

Nice job, Stu. :thumb: That simple form is deceptively hard to do, huh? The corners whizzing by at 1000 rpm can really get your knuckles' attention, too.

After I finished risking life and limb making the one square bowl like yours I've done, it dawned on me that I could have turned a round one then cut four sides off the circle and end up with the same thing. :doh: But where's the sport in that? :D

Thanks gents, it was fun and the corners do not really bother me much, I only think about mashing my knuckles every other half second :rolleyes:

This one is fairly small, so it was not a big deal, but the larger ones, yeah, they catch your attention for sure.

I watched Eli Avisera and Jean-Francois Escoulen do some of these in the last demo in October, they do them SO fast, I'm glad I took a bunch of video of them "WIP" as I forgot a lot of the small steps the talked about that became important.

The most important thing is that you cannot EVER go back, when you make the cut, on the top face, the last cut, once you move closer to the center, you cannot go back to the outside rim area again, way too thing, way too much flex, and being squared corners, you cannot even wrap a finger around the back to steady the bowl.

Vaughn, Jean-Francois said the same thing about making it round and then cutting it square, "no fun" :D

he even said he knows people use scrap blocks glued up to the edges of a nice piece of wood, so they can turn a round bowl and then cut the sides off :rolleyes:

I'll be making some more of these, Maple next time, much nicer to work with!

Cheers!

Well Billy, when you do want to try one, I wrote up a little "How To" on making them :wave:

I've since made some more, and then today, I made this one...........

not_flat_round_bent1.JPG not_flat_round_bent2.JPG

Talk about the potential for knuckle damage :eek:

LOTS of hand sanding with the power OFF on this one :D :thumb:

Cheers!

"It must be thinner Stuart-san ... much thinner...." :rofl:

Just kidding -- it looks great! Not sure what your plans are for the foot, but I imagine your vacuum chuck will work on this form, yes?

Maybe I'll get up the nerve to try one of these someday. :huh:

Yeah, thinner would be good for sure, but man, it was hard to get my brain around cutting it while it was in motion, so it would be a similar thickness all the way through.

I wanted the foot to touch before the corners, and to do that I had to leave the tenon, but now I think I'll remove the tenon and let it sit on the corners......?

Vacuum chuck should work just fine :D :thumb:

Cheers!

Those are great looking little pieces Stu. I love the square turned pieces. And because I saw them in the last turning symposium I cam appreciate how delicate they are.

Yep, nice to learn from the masters :thumb:

here are a few more I've done..........

new_not_flat1.JPG new_not_flat2.JPG new_not_flat3.JPG
A little deeper than most, and spalted bits too

won_ton_vacuum.JPG
I used the magic vacuum chudk to hold the bent piece on the lathe, to redo the bottom.

won_ton_2.JPG won_ton_fixed.JPG
I like this better!

sorta_flat.JPG
Something a little different!