Need a bandsaw bad!!!!

Chuck Hanger

Hi Guys,
Can anyone tell me if this bandsaw is worth it's value?
Delta 28-206 . First one that I have found in my local area. Anyone have any idea what the value of this saw might be?
Thanks,
Chuck

Last edited:
Thanks Frank, would this make a difference?

Delta 28-206 Professional Band Saw w/Height Block
Also there is a 20" that is going to sell about 35 miles from my sister's and BIL house that is 10 years old and only at 800 now with 19 hours to go. Called him and he will go p/u if I get it. Don't really need one that big, but for the price, hard to resist?
Thanks,
Chuck

Is the Delta 28-206 used? If it's in good shape, I'd guess the selling price should be somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the new price.

If the Delta 28-640 is within your budget, I'd say jump on it. I don't recall anyone regretting buying a big bandsaw. :) Also, I'd think you could pretty easily get your money back if you decided to sell it down the road.

I guess we have to ask what you want to do with the bandsaw, if any amount of resawing is in the mix, what they heck, get the bigger unit, if you have the money and the space :dunno:

A big bandsaw, with a small 1/4" blade will cut well and do scroll work, a small bandsaw with a big blade will struggle to resaw.

Just my two cents worth, but if the 18" saw can be had for near the same price as the 14" saw, I'd be all over the 18" saw.

Cheers!

Don't really know what happened!

But I got out bid by $10 in the last second. Had BIL already to go pick it up (35 miles away) and we would go down at Christmas time to p/u. Went off at $865. Would have loved to have that saw for the price.
Thanks for the help.
Chuck Hanger

I'd say that is a great deal if it doesn't go up to much. Lots of resaw room with the riser too! Good luck.

I would say that is the key, "If it doesn't go up too much". I looked at some tools on ebay a couple of years ago and the buyers seem to go into a frenzy and pay more than the tools are worth.

I have the same Made in The USA version of that saw with a 2hp and it makes a great small saw for general purpose stuff. I think that it would be a little underpowered with 1hp if you plan on doing much large resawing to say the least. In my opinion I would not pay more than $500. When I got to that figure I would be looking for something else that is either larger or something along the same lines with more power.

Jeff, Did you see the question and answer on that page? "Question: What size blade does it use?" "Answer: 10"." What a hoot!!!!! The seller has no clue.

I had an old off brand something like that one time and it not only cost me something to buy it but then I had to hall it to the dump.

Last edited:
YOUR RIGHT!!!

The seller did not know what he had, but I still missed this one also as I got out sniped. Really wanted a larger saw anyway, but this would have been a good starter. Still a 175 mile round trip and at the cost of gas today has to be considered. Someone local I am sure.
But I do thank Jeff for the information on the ad :)
Oh well, will just have to keep trying.
Thanks Fellows for all of the help
Chuck Hanger

I had an older Rockwell 20" BS and found it just too darn big for the floorspace I had available. Consequently, I gave it away and bought a Craftsman 14" model that looks like it was made by Rikon.

So far, after about a year and using it for resawing and some detail work, it's proven itself to be a really good compromise. And the price wasn't bad either.

The only drawback is, like many Craftsman tools, the blades are not standard and you must either get them form Sears or have them custom made.

What a pit.

Yes, Allen, it is a bit of a PItA. Even more so when some of the Sears stores don't have the blades in stock.

But, not a terrible inconvenience when you consider the initial price for what you get in the long-run. Heck, you can always get other brand, perhaps better, blades over the I-net at decent prices.

Bob