New Wave Velcro Sanding Disks

Tony Falotico

Where do you buy -- who has the best deals on New Wave Velcro Sanding Disks? I've been surfing around, seems like the best deal is KLINGSPOR's 50 packs for $11.95 (2"ers).

• Has anybody used KLINGSPOR's? How do you like them? I've gotten great papers from them, but also got 'not so great' papers from them.
  • Any better deals?

I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks, Tony

I'm hooked on the wave disks, and that's the lowest price I've seen on them. So far I've only used the gold wave disks from Packard's (which I think is the Klingspore paper), but I see Packard's has both green and gold versions.

Have you tried using the wave backing pad, too? I've got both the firm and soft versions. I use the firm one a lot, but the soft one's not been real effective for me.

Have you tried using the wave backing pad, too? I've got both the firm and soft versions. I use the firm one a lot, but the soft one's not been real effective for me.

I'm power sanding with the wave and, as you said, am hooked on the wave disks (was the pun intended?). I use the firm one for final shaping / initial cleanup with the lower grits (100 - 120), then use the soft one for the higher grits. The soft one will conform to curves and sand evenly.

Thanks, Tony

I use 2.5" or 3" discs on 2" pads (or 3.5" for 3" pads) cut from Klingspor gold (cloth) sandpaper. This setup works really well and the paper lasts for quite a while. The disc edges don't leave the sharp dig-in patterns like a 2" disc on a 2" pad will. It kind of combines a sanding mop function with a sanding disc. I made my own punch kit from a ground down HF hole saw kit ($3) and a dead blow hammer.

I really like the wave discs but I've been buying the 10 packs from Packard or CUSA as my budget won't support buying all the grits from 60 to 600 in the large economy size. Might make a good Christmas suggestion for my kids though. They could each buy one grit and get me part way there.

I use them with the foam pads and am very pleased with the outcome.

I'm trying to find 8" disks that I can afford. Even Klingspore is about $2.00 each, plus shipping. (in packs of 5)
BTW: what is with the holes in many disks? How does a hole help sanding?

...BTW: what is with the holes in many disks? How does a hole help sanding?
The paper with holes is for sanders with vacuum ports, like most random orbital sanders sold these days. The holes allow the sanding dust to be picked up as you sand. It makes a world of difference, not only in the reduction of dust in the air, but also the paper lasts longer and cuts better when you keep the sanding dust away.

Oh, and sorry, but I don't know a good source for the 8" disks. :dunno:

Vaughn said, in part, "The paper with holes is for sanders with vacuum ports, like most random orbital sanders sold these days."
I love the "these days" part. One of my ROSs was inherited and is probably as old as I am. The other I picked up at a garage sale for $3.00 and has switch that only works on Wednesdays. Dunno nuttin' 'bout them fancy new things.
My DC system below. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• dc system.jpg
    dc system.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 9
Vaughn said, in part, "The paper with holes is for sanders with vacuum ports, like most random orbital sanders sold these days."
I love the "these days" part. One of my ROSs was inherited and is probably as old as I am. The other I picked up at a garage sale for $3.00 and has switch that only works on Wednesdays. Dunno nuttin' 'bout them fancy new things.
My DC system below. :rolleyes:
I like your DC system. Frank. :D

My first ROS was a cheapie Ryobi (about $35 as I recall) from Home Depot. It has a place that I can hook up my Shop Vac (although I had to get an adaptor for about $8 to fit the 2 1/2" vacuum hose to the sander). This sander has been worked hard for a couple of years now, and it refuses to die. Prior to using the little Ryobi, I was using an old 1/3 sheet sander that was my granddad's. The little 5" disk on the Ryobi with the vacuum on it worked much, much faster and cleaner than a 1/3 of a sheet on the old sander. The holes really do make a big difference.