outdoor dining table, a work in progress

Joe Mioux

I just posted a couple pics of my garage/shop/thinkin room with a table I have been building on another forum (unrelated to woodworking).

This has been a PIA project as well as a very satisfying project.

Pulling 100-150 year old nails out of Oak sucks.

Milling old 8x8 old posts and beams, by myself, into usable pieces of wood was hard work.

Breaking my toe, by dropping a newly glued up table top .... hurt!

Sanding the top, well............? I don't need to comment on that.

Using some hand tools is a lot of fun!

Seeing kid #4 using my new table as a big board surf board is very gratifying and is PRICELESS.

Attachments

• table 1.JPG
    table 1.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 71
  • table 2 butterfly.JPG
    table 2 butterfly.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 54
  • table 3 my girls.JPG
    table 3 my girls.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 71
  • table 4 christina surfin.JPG
    table 4 christina surfin.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 74
  • table 5.JPG
    table 5.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
That's gonna be a FINE Table Joe.:thumb: Reminds me of the one Norm did on NYW a couple of yrs back that was patterned after an outdoor Dining table he saw at a Winery in Napa Valley. Now if you think making this table has been fun, just think how much "MORE FUN" you're gonna have when you make ALL those Chairs to go around it.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Besides the Table, that is some mighty fine looking "Supervisory Personnel" you've got helping you there too.:thumb: Gonna be Many Fine Family Gatherings and meals around that Table, I'm sure. Great Project.

That's a great looking table Joe, and BIG too. I think the projects that I get the most satisfaction out of are those where I am able to re-used material. And I like seeing projects where others to the same. Well done!

thank you for the comments.

Norman, there will be no chairs being made for this project. Maybe a bench, if the owner wants one.

I mis-spoke a bit, this isn't my table to keep (i will always consider it "my table"), but i am building it for a friend of mine.

He lives here 6 months out of the year and the rest in Sydney Aus, with his wife. The wood came from a 150 year old barn that was on his great-grandparent's (they're dead) farm. A few years ago, the barn fell down and we salvaged some of the wood from it.

did i mention i really hate pulling rusty nails from old oak.

Here is a pic of what that table used to look like.

Attachments

• meyer's barn.JPG
    meyer's barn.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 26
Hey Sam, do you see what cut those beams in any of those pics?

Honestly, Joe, I did not. I was focused on the table. If I had I wouldn't have mentioned it, for fear it would come off as a shameless plug. :D But now that you mention it... I bet she never even flinched slicing it up. :thumb: