Thread: Alyson and Woodworking: Its a Start!

Alyson and Woodworking: Its a Start!

Well it was sad to say the least, installing these little ugly child protective devices on my custom kitchen cabinets was really not what I wanted to do, but when Alyson grabbed a butcher's knife out of the drawer the other day I knew something had to be done. So as I installed them, Alyson (on her own free will) kept trying to take the screwdriver and "help" daddy. She had enough knowledge to put the screwdriver up against the screw...not a babd start for a 16 month old!!

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Tokyo Japan
    That is a great pic Travis!

Get her a set of kids plastic tools and a tool belt, she will be there to help even more!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Schenectady, NY

Just wait...

She'll have those kid-proof gadjets figured out in no time
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

DSM, IA
    Travis, great pic. My daughter has started referring to my shop...err garage as "daddy's". Snowing for first time here today, so it will quickly become "mommy's" for parking...gotta do some cleaning.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

WNY, Buffalo Area

That's a great picture!

The little ones are sponges ready to absorb anything they see or hear.

When my son (2, almost 3 years old) plays with his toy tools and the scraps of wood that I have given him, he pretents to put on his shop apron, hearing protectors, he starts up his pretend dust collector, and reaches under his toy tool bench to flip the switch to turn on his pretend table saw. I get a big kick out of him.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.

Monroe, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    She'll have those kid-proof gadjets figured out in no time
    Why do you think she's got the screwdriver? She's planning to remove them when Travis isn't looking.

Cushing Oklahoma
    I had the same feelings about installing the locks on our new cabinets. I installed one and went to do the next and Austin(1) walked over opened the door to the lock looked in at it reached in and unlocked it opened the door. I looked at my wife took it off and threw them away. ended up with the ones that go around the knobs but the little **** took them off too.... but I found out if we put one of the medium binder clips over the lock he couldn't open them

Bloomingdale, IL
    And she knows which end of the screwdriver to hold as well.

Better than some grownups!

Houston, Texas
    Hi Travis ,
    Glad you were there to be her Dad. She needed you!
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Here is how