Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Steel City 18" Band Saws

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Posts
    61

    Steel City 18" Band Saws

    Does anyone own or seen any negative reviews on them. I'm about ready
    to pull the triger on one. Any comments will be appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Hoste View Post
    Does anyone own or seen any negative reviews on them. I'm about ready
    to pull the triger on one. Any comments will be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Hi Les

    I LOVE mine. It's a real work horse.

    Here are some real close-ups I took for another forum
    when Steel City was just coming on the market.

    Hope this helps.

    (Change pages at the top of each page)
    http://dontee.sistmllc.com/bandsaw/index.html

    DT
    Last edited by Don Taylor; 11-21-2007 at 08:00 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Posts
    61
    Thanks Don your close-ups didn't show up but thanks any way. Are the adjustment to the lower guides hard to get at? I hear that the Delta, and the Jets are. Most guys said that when they moved the upper guide the lower one needed to be readjusted, and it was a real pain. I'm guessing most 18" saws are that close to the table? Anyway I needed a better one for the hp, and resawing. By the way I placed the order yesterday afternoon, thanks for your reply.

    Les

    Don your photos showed up now. I see that the guides are close to the table as other 18" saws. Looks like it can't be helped.
    Last edited by Les Hoste; 11-21-2007 at 04:04 PM.

  4. #4
    Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Hoste View Post
    Thanks Don your close-ups didn't show up but thanks any way. Are the adjustment to the lower guides hard to get at? I hear that the Delta, and the Jets are. Most guys said that when they moved the upper guide the lower one needed to be readjusted, and it was a real pain. I'm guessing most 18" saws are that close to the table? Anyway I needed a better one for the hp, and resawing. By the way I placed the order yesterday afternoon, thanks for your reply.

    Les

    Don your photos showed up now. I see that the guides are close to the table as other 18" saws. Looks like it can't be helped.
    Most band saws are a challenge at first to set up properly. It's just the nature of the beast.
    Once you get the hang of it, it becomes just another saw to change the blade on.

    Here is the manual. You can download it and take a look.

    http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr....cfm?section=2

    DT

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Posts
    61
    Hi Don
    You have been such a good sport in answering all my questions that I hate to
    ask you for one more. I started to make a mobile base for it. I see in the machine specifications that the footprint for the base is18"x28 1/2". I'm wondering how close
    they where? I don't want tight fit nor do I want a real sloppy one. I know it sounds
    like I'm putting the cart in front of the horse, but when they deliver it I want to be able to off load it from the truck to the base since they will help me unload it.
    THANK AGAIN!!!!

    Les

  6. #6
    Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Hoste View Post
    Hi Don
    You have been such a good sport in answering all my questions that I hate to
    ask you for one more. I started to make a mobile base for it. I see in the machine specifications that the footprint for the base is18"x28 1/2". I'm wondering how close
    they where? I don't want tight fit nor do I want a real sloppy one. I know it sounds
    like I'm putting the cart in front of the horse, but when they deliver it I want to be able to off load it from the truck to the base since they will help me unload it.
    THANK AGAIN!!!!

    Les
    Hi Les,
    No problem, questions are what the family is all about.

    The base is 17-3/4" X 28-1/2" and comes bolted to a pallet.

    I put mine on the ShopFox base and it fit perfectly. I can't move as many things like that as I use to but I moved that bandsaw around the table saw island to the other side of the room last night. It works good.



    DT

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Steel City 17" Drill Press - $350 - SE Michigan
    By Matt Meiser in forum Old Ads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 08:24 PM
  2. Hot deals from Steel City - again
    By Nancy Laird in forum Hot Deals
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 05:50 AM
  3. Steel City wants your business!
    By Nancy Laird in forum Hot Deals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-28-2007, 02:44 PM
  4. Steel City new Tops
    By Aaron Beaver in forum New Tools
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 08:58 PM
  5. Steel City Toolworks 17" Drill Press
    By Jay Lock in forum New Tools
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 12:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •