Thread: robots?

robots?

An administrator at one of my penturning forums said he checked to see who was on at a certain time and found there were "28 robots from "Inktomi" .
    I'm guessing a robot is some kind of computer wormy/spy thingy. Are they bad or benign? Again, guessing not good. Wonder how many we might have here.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Nah, the robots are web crawlers that gather information for search engines. They are benign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inktomi
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Neither - they're usually search engine robots that are "indexing" the site so they can pull up search results from the site. They happen constantly and are usually benign, but some of them are absolute parasites (like litefinder).
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

If'n y'all say so. Still sound creepy to me.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Only because it was you who suggested it. I went to what I consider the least reliable source of information on the Internet. Found the Inktomi. I understand. But, it still sounds creepy to this non-geek. Maybe I'm jealous because I didn't invent it and get bought out for billions of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    If'n y'all say so. Still sound creepy to me.
    They are creepy but, not in that sense. Oddly enough, I built Inktomi's network core. They have floors of cache-engines that enhance your web-surfing experience (read tongue in cheek).

Trivia note: Inktomi is an Indian word for Spider. Get it? Web-crawler, spider, those boys from Berkley really got a sense of humor and the crawlers are not harmful as designed.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    They are creepy but, not in that sense. Oddly enough, I built Inktomi's network core. They have floors of cache-engines that enhance your web-surfing experience (read tongue in cheek).

Trivia note: Inktomi is an Indian word for Spider. Get it? Web-crawler, spider, those boys from Berkley really got a sense of humor and the crawlers are not harmful as designed.
    Spiders not creepy?
    You built it? Mark Cuban must be your caddy.