robots?

Frank Fusco

An administrator at one of my penturning forums said he checked to see who was on at a certain time and found there were "28 robots from "Inktomi" .
I'm guessing a robot is some kind of computer wormy/spy thingy. Are they bad or benign? Again, guessing not good. Wonder how many we might have here.

Neither - they're usually search engine robots that are "indexing" the site so they can pull up search results from the site. They happen constantly and are usually benign, but some of them are absolute parasites (like litefinder).

If'n y'all say so. Still sound creepy to me. :eek:

They are creepy but, not in that sense. Oddly enough, I built Inktomi's network core. They have floors of cache-engines that enhance your web-surfing experience (read tongue in cheek).

Trivia note: Inktomi is an Indian word for Spider. Get it? Web-crawler, spider, those boys from Berkley really got a sense of humor and the crawlers are not harmful as designed.

They are creepy but, not in that sense. Oddly enough, I built Inktomi's network core. They have floors of cache-engines that enhance your web-surfing experience (read tongue in cheek).

Trivia note: Inktomi is an Indian word for Spider. Get it? Web-crawler, spider, those boys from Berkley really got a sense of humor and the crawlers are not harmful as designed.

Spiders not creepy? ;)
You built it? Mark Cuban must be your caddy. :rofl: