Manzanita NE

From the other half of the Manzanita root ball I had. I really wanted to do a HF with it, but the top of the bowl was the bottom of the root ball, nothing but roots and voids, so I decided to do a NE bowl with it. I spray painted with black paint after I had it turned almost to completion to give the crevices and rim some contrast, then finished turning. 10" diameter by 5" deep, lacquer finish that still needs to be rubbed out.

TS460.jpg

TS460a.jpg

TS460b.jpg

Vey impressive Travis! I really like the black paint idea - makes a dramatic contrast with the color of the wood! Any reason you used lacquer instead of, say, Antique Oil?

Hoo-wee that's sweet, Travis. The black paint is a great idea. Must have been challenging to turn.

Gonna hand rub that lacquer? C'mon, be brave...hit that thing with the buffer. And be sure to take videos when you do it. :p

Now that is not going to hold much ice cream is it :D

Love the paint idea, and that is one nice looking piece of grungy old root ball :thumb:

I bet not many who saw the original root ball sitting in your truck or yard would have thought something so nice could come from a lump of roots like that! :clap:

Now THAT my friends is "RECYCLING" :wave:

rubbing out lacquer

Hey Travis,(or anybody else),

when you mention rubbing out the lacquer on a piece like this, with the beal safely put away, what do you use, and how long should you wait before doing the ole rub-a-dub? Bye the way...you could post a normal piece to give us mere mortals a fighting chance to feel adequate. stunning doesn't even come close.