What frustrates you the most about woodworking???

Frank Pellow

Yesterday ‘Gord in Newmarcket started a thread on this subject on the Canadian Woodworking Forum. See the thread: http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19054

Gord introduced the thread with:

Hi All,

Over the years I’ve talked to a large number of woodworkers and without a doubt there is always something that frustrates any given woodworker no matter how long they’ve been working wood………………………..

What frustrates you the most???

Finishing
Sanding
Joinery
Design
Machinery
Material selection
The brother in law that thinks he knows everything
etc…………………feel free to add in your own pet peeves.

You get the general idea, what drives you around the bend when it comes to woodworking?

All the best
Gord

There have been many good responses to Gord’s question on Canadian Woodworking and I would like to hear from folks here on the same question.

Clutter in the shop and the fact that I can't find the tool I need now -mostly because of that clutter. I have places for most things, with the exception of the cuts-offs once my cut-off bin is full (which it almost always is). But, am am constantly neglecting to put tools and small parts/hardware back where they belong.

Last edited:
Dirty shop

Get on a roll and dont pick up after myself..........then I blame you guys that one of you taken one of my tools that just had 10 minutes ago.

Hate you guys with "See my shop" with no dam sawdust in the corners

THERE NOW I FEEL BETTER, GOT THAT OFF MY CHEST.

Finding good furniture quality hardwoods -- then paying for them. I usually travel 150 miles (one way) for a good supplier. Buying bulk creates two issues, first being cost, second being storage.

- lack of time
- lack of space
- lack of climate control (too cold Dec - March, too hot in August :rolleyes:)
- the mess I make :huh:
- sanding and finishing get old quick, but I don't hate every second of it! :rolleyes:
- mistakes/wasting wood :bang:
- spending hours of perfectly good shop time on the internet! :doh::eek:

My greatest frustration is how absolutely foolish and downright stupid I am. My father used to tell me: "If brain's were dynamite, you couldn't blow your nose." ;)

Now Doorlink says "Did you actually think that would work?" ;)

Yes, I did, because, frankly, I'm dumb as a post! ;)

And as long as I'm whining, how about these?

1. I have still never, even by accident, ever made a perfectly square cut. Dang! (see above!)

2. Others can get good results from cheap tools, so why can't I? (see above)

3. There's not a single flat, square wall or corner in this house. Not one. And if there were when it was built, it's settled so much there will never be one now. So every built in I make has to be tweaked... which I usually do at exactly the opposite angle I need. (see above! ;)

4. I actually don't mind fixing the stuff we found when we bought the house. What bugs me no end is having to fix the fixes I myself put in, because, well, see above... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I have been thinking about this for a while and cannot really think of anything. For me it is a very peaceful time although it may not sound like it to an outsider with all of the noise going on. I feel good when I go out to the shop and I feel good when I come in. I am sure that would change if I was under the pressure of doing it for a living.

Top Ten

My Top Ten Woodworking Frustrations.

10. Not taking the time to do much woodworking.
9. Tripping over things I don’t put away.
8. Less physical dexterity than when I was a younger man.
7. Having to wear glasses and the need for lots of light to see.
6. I take forever to plan projects out.
5. Wishing I took more time to plan when it doesn’t turn out quite right.
4. Looking for just one of the dozen pencils I have in the shop.
3. Where did I just put that tape measure I just had?
2. The price of wood.

And The #1 Frustration.

1. Those Dang Splinters ! :bang:

Last edited:
Too many thinks I want to try.
Not enough time to try them.
Not enough money to get the equipment and lumber I want to use.
Not enough shop space.
Not having a good mentor to show me how to do what I want to try. (This is where the forum fills in and is some thing I'm grateful for!)

Coming up with a brilliant idea, pulling it off perfectly the first time...
and being completely unable to repeat it in the next half-dozen attempts.

I waste a lot more time and wood that way than with the things where I fail miserably on the first attempt, because I usually give up on those after only two failures.

Not haveing an origanal answer ! . . .

I gotta agree : mostly ME ! That REALLY sweet trick I was going to pull off. Then when the block is clamped in and saw in-hand the doubt that says " you are about to waste this whole block ". Of course its the BEST of times when you actually pull it off !