Thread: Oval turning device

Oval turning device

A couple of weeks ago Kerry Burton brought up some questions about this issue.
    Found this very interesting to investigate what the possibility's are to make such a device for own use.
    I have now a temporary design of such a device for building on my lathe.
    Still have to look more close to details like bearings, wearing parts and so on.
    So I'm not done yet.
    I made diagrams for the completion of the oval, and worked this out in a construction plan.
    Used the system of a long arm plane bank for the slide movement.
    The working principe of this device: excenter turns 180 degrees, means that the slide moves 30mm to the left, and the faceplate turns 90 degrees counterclockwise. So a 1/4 of the oval. A full revolution of 360 degrees of the excenter creates the 1/2 of the oval. Have to look also for other shapes of ovals.
    Have the intension to build this device next year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Completion Oval.jpg   Design Oval turning device.jpg  

Ad, I hope this translates correctly into Dutch, but you da man! I'll be very interested in seeing this device progress from drawing to reality. Maybe in a few years all the turners will be buying the "de Crom Oval Engine" for their lathes.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Ad, I hope this translates correctly into Dutch, but you da man! I'll be very interested in seeing this device progress from drawing to reality. Maybe in a few years all the turners will be buying the "de Crom Oval Engine" for their lathes.
    Well Vaughn, when that happen I organize a big party for ya all

Oval turning device

After changing a lot of the temporary first design, concerning the bearings and other parts, my design is now more definitive.
    Had a nice find last week, with finding an old faceplate complete with bearings.
    I never throw away old machine parts, and found this old faceplate in a box in my attic, so this was really a good find.
    To make it all more understandable for everyone, I made a 3D presentation of the Oval turning device, and a kind of exploded view, and together with a 2D drawing it will be more clear to see what I'm going to build next year.
    Well it's also very handy making a 3D presentation for checking the right fit of every part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apparaat ovaal draaien.jpg   Oval turning device -  pic.3.jpg   Oval turning device - exploded view.jpg   Oval turning device - pic.1.jpg   Oval turning device - pic.2.jpg  

Nice work, Ad ... thanks for the 3D diagrams!

It will be great to watch this come together. Do you suppose the woodworking will take as long as the design work (and drawing) did?

I thought everything that came off a lathe was automatically oval without special devices.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Burton View Post
    Nice work, Ad ... thanks for the 3D diagrams!

It will be great to watch this come together. Do you suppose the woodworking will take as long as the design work (and drawing) did?
    Good question Kerry, designing work is always a tough job, making it even tougher, for now I'm laying it down for a while in the back of my head , next spring it's the perfect time to start with building this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I thought everything that came off a lathe was automatically oval without special devices.
    Well Frank, if your thoughts are right, you never know, let me know, that will save me a lot of work and monye.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Tighten the screws in the faceplate, Frank.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com