Oval turning device

Ad de Crom

Former Member (at his request)
A couple of weeks ago Kerry Burton brought up some questions about this issue.
Found this very interesting to investigate what the possibility's are to make such a device for own use.
I have now a temporary design of such a device for building on my lathe.
Still have to look more close to details like bearings, wearing parts and so on.
So I'm not done yet.
I made diagrams for the completion of the oval, and worked this out in a construction plan.
Used the system of a long arm plane bank for the slide movement.
The working principe of this device: excenter turns 180 degrees, means that the slide moves 30mm to the left, and the faceplate turns 90 degrees counterclockwise. So a 1/4 of the oval. A full revolution of 360 degrees of the excenter creates the 1/2 of the oval. Have to look also for other shapes of ovals.
Have the intension to build this device next year.

Attachments

• Completion Oval.jpg
    Completion Oval.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Design Oval turning device.jpg
    Design Oval turning device.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 122
Ad, I hope this translates correctly into Dutch, but you da man! I'll be very interested in seeing this device progress from drawing to reality. Maybe in a few years all the turners will be buying the "de Crom Oval Engine" for their lathes.

Ad, I hope this translates correctly into Dutch, but you da man! I'll be very interested in seeing this device progress from drawing to reality. Maybe in a few years all the turners will be buying the "de Crom Oval Engine" for their lathes.

Well Vaughn, when that happen I organize a big party for ya all :D

After changing a lot of the temporary first design, concerning the bearings and other parts, my design is now more definitive.
Had a nice find last week, with finding an old faceplate complete with bearings.
I never throw away old machine parts, and found this old faceplate in a box in my attic, so this was really a good find.
To make it all more understandable for everyone, I made a 3D presentation of the Oval turning device, and a kind of exploded view, and together with a 2D drawing it will be more clear to see what I'm going to build next year.
Well it's also very handy making a 3D presentation for checking the right fit of every part.

Attachments

• apparaat ovaal draaien.jpg
    apparaat ovaal draaien.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Oval turning device -  pic.3.jpg
    Oval turning device - pic.3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Oval turning device - exploded view.jpg
    Oval turning device - exploded view.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Oval turning device - pic.1.jpg
    Oval turning device - pic.1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Oval turning device - pic.2.jpg
    Oval turning device - pic.2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 48
Nice work, Ad ... thanks for the 3D diagrams! :thumb:

It will be great to watch this come together. Do you suppose the woodworking will take as long as the design work (and drawing) did? :D

Nice work, Ad ... thanks for the 3D diagrams! :thumb:

It will be great to watch this come together. Do you suppose the woodworking will take as long as the design work (and drawing) did? :D

Good question Kerry, designing work is always a tough job, making it even tougher, for now I'm laying it down for a while in the back of my head :huh:, next spring it's the perfect time to start with building this thing. :D