Some Bowls

Here are a couple of bowls that I finished turning last week. The first is a mulberry bowl which is 7" across and 4" high. The other is a walnut bowl from the last of the wood from John Hart which I finally got around to. It is 7 1/2" across and 3" high. Sanded to 600 grit. Both are finished with General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal. I buffed with carnuba wax.

Attachments

• Mulberry Bowl 1.jpg
    Mulberry Bowl 1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Mulberry Bowl 3.jpg
    Mulberry Bowl 3.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Walnut Bowl 18.jpg
    Walnut Bowl 18.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Walnut Bowl 23.jpg
    Walnut Bowl 23.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 31
I like 'em both, Bernie. Nicely done. :thumb: (After the ornaments and such, I was starting to wonder if you remembered how to turn a bowl. :rofl:)

Very nice Bernie!

What is the Mulberry like to turn?

The grain in it looks similar to the Keyaki I have so much of, but hate to turn, as it is so freaking hard!

Cheers!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

Stu Mulberry is a hard wood. It does cut pretty good and smells good to. I understand it will turn a light colored brown with age. I had to sharpen my tools about 3 times to finish it. The inside of both bowls were finished with a Hunter tool from CSUSA. I got the #3 and #4. You don't have to sharpen the cutters as you just rotate the cutter 1/4 turn or less when they get dull which could be as many as 50 or more bowls. A gentleman at Woodcraft in Denver says he does 180 to 200 bowls before he has to change cutters. Anyway took me a minute to figure out the best cut but when you get it, it is as smooth as a baby's bottom. Started sanding at 180 to 220.

Nice bowls, Bernie.

I recently turned Mulberry for the first time and found it a bit difficult, plus I had to sharpen a lot. But, it smelled like yellow mustard when turning so that was prety neat!