Todays adventure! UPDATED NEW PHOTOS

Jeff Horton

Just thought I would post a couple of photos of what I did today. First time I have have ever got to go with a group and only the second time in 3 years I have gotten to go. We covered about 12 miles today on Town Creek. Saw Beaver, Muskrat, assorted fish and pretty sure I got a glimpse of my first River Otter. No one got a good look but those that did see them all thought they were Otters. First sighting I have ever heard of on this lake.

101_1006.JPG 101_1009.JPG
I will pay for this tomorrow I am sure! but it was a blast!!

There were a total of 7 on the trip. Ranged in age from the 20's to 50's. One lady and I must say a strong paddler. I saw a lot of the stern of her backThat should be boat, not back today!

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty place to tour. Nice pics. I've never kayaked, and I'd like to, but I doubt it's something I could do much of any more with my bad back. (Had to give up the fledgling trapeze artist and limbo dancing careers, too.)

Nice Jeff,
Good time of year to go. One of the pics looks like a river, White water? Anybody flip for fun or accident?
Bet was the best of times. Thanks, I had to work:(.:rofl:
Shaz

Judging by your kayaks, that must be a flat water river. Looks like a great time and I am definitely envious. You still planning on making some boats?

hmmm, there's a town creek that flows into the Tombigbee... if that's it, not likely the most whitewater you're likely to find, but some big cottonmouths... ;)

There's also a place called town creek, up north, near huntsville, with a waterway not too far away. But I doubt there's a whole lot of current ever. It's not exactly snake river country... which is a good thing, if you're just looking for some peaceful time on the river... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, I am impressed with your knowledge of the area!

Town Creek ranges from a trickle up on the mountain, with our drought we are in it's mostly a dry creek bed. It runs down the mountain to Guntersville Lake, part of the Tennessee River. We started out at the mouth of the Creek at the fish camp boat launch where it joins the river and paddled up to where the rapids start. Of course there are no rapids, there is no water flowing on the creek due to the drought. But there is some serious white water in higher water flows.

These boats... well most of them, are touring boats/sea kayaks. Made for open water and hauling camping gear. Not for white water. They have stronger tracking, meaning they stay in a straight line when paddled, for the most part. Much longer boats than white water boats.

No one tipped over today. As cold as the water was that is a good thing!

Glad to hear all went well.

I love kayacking and canoes were once the pickups of their day 400 years ago.

Myself I have a healthy respect for any river. When I was a senior we went on a white water rafting trip. I was pretty gung-ho and sat right up front. Now this was at the hight of spring run off so the water was really raging. Anyway everything started out good until our raft hit the waterfall. The rafted folded inward, but in half. Throwing me into the boat. A good thing, but as I went to climb back on, well as I pushed myself back, the raft pitched the other way and I fell into the water. The problem was my foot got caught on the rope running around the raft.

I kicked and kicked but could not get free. I was trapped under the raft as we bounced down the rapids, rocks hitting me everywhere and of course I could not breath. That whole under water thing really kind of sucked. Finally the guide cut the rope and I was free from the boat but floating down the river on my own. I was right next to shore but was flying by so fast by the time I reached for roots and rocks I was well past them. As I said the water was raging.

Finally I just started swimming for the raft...a big no no because bouncing off rocks head first at high speed is not a great idea. Still I was a strong swimmer and I made it, the guide pulling me in just in time to hit another waterfall. When we made eye contact I could tell that both of us were very scared. I honestly thought I was going to die under that raft.

White water rafting...ba humbug. I'll take frozen water anyday on a snowmobile. Much, much safer!!

Just got some photos from Bryan. Thought I would post a few.

Barge coming up the river as we were at the mouth of Shoal Creek.
2893601010101590712S600x600Q85.jpg

2655137250101590712S600x600Q85.jpg

Water is really low and we had to go under several obstacles like this one.

2875920280101590712S600x600Q85.jpg

One of several herons we saw on the trip. They disappeared for many years due to DDT but they have common once again.

2185182150101590712S600x600Q85.jpg

Beaver lodge
2614590050101590712S600x600Q85.jpg

On the way home we paddled out into the channel just below the dam and the lock. It was windy and looks like I am trying to hang on to my hat.
2312499150101590712S600x600Q85.jpg

Looks like fun and a healthy activity. (if you don't a a Travis' experience :eek: ) Where you are looks great. But, I see those pictures of guys in kayaks out in open water in Alaska with only huge glaciers for company. They look like helpless insignificant specks out there in unforgiving nature. That wouldn't be for me.