Bowls

Curt Fuller

I've been working on some bowls this week. My wife will fill them with Christmas candy and give them out to neighbors and friends. This first one is from some elm. Most of what we have around here is chinese elm but this was different. I'm not sure what kind it is other than elm. But it has some pretty wild color in it. It's 12" by 2.5".

Elmbowl1.jpg

This one is from some silver maple that I tried to spalt myself. It was in a bag of dirt with a few horse biscuits and some miracle grow for most of the summer. It didn't spalt much though. It's 10 " x 4"

silvermaplebowl5.jpg

Nice bowls Curt.

In the little bit of turning that I have done, most of it has been Elm, and it has never failed to surprise me how much character and wildness the grain can deliver.

cheers eh?

Thanks you guys! If you look at the lower left portion of the Elm bowl you can see a dark line that is some ring shake in the wood. I was roughing the bowl when I came across that and figured it would probably just split anyway so I kept going and turned it green to finished. Just in the two days it's been sitting in the house it has warped enough that it rocks. In a week or so it will probably look like a potato chip.