My shop progress.....and tour......

whew i bet yur tired

ken from all that heavy liftin, you are just beginnin the placment of the tools takes alot longer than you may think,, i still am not ready for business but i am gainin,, the light is great and the floors well i didnt do anything but have mats,,, so you may want to listen to the others ken,, i am glad you beat ned on the final hookup:) see you and i have cold weather ned has moderate climate:rofl: congrats ken now i can have a place to stay when i get over your way:rofl:

That's progress... I will let you know that the record for one of those bandsaws staying in the crate is 3 years, 4 months and 13 days. If you keep going at this pace you shouldn't have a problem breaking that record. :D

ken from all that heavy liftin, you are just beginnin the placment of the tools takes alot longer than you may think,, i still am not ready for business but i am gainin,, the light is great and the floors well i didnt do anything but have mats,,, so you may want to listen to the others ken,, i am glad you beat ned on the final hookup:) see you and i have cold weather ned has moderate climate:rofl: congrats ken now i can have a place to stay when i get over your way:rofl:

Larry....You can use the guest bedroom in the house...We'll play in the shop but..........You can use a lawn chair......

That's progress... I will let you know that the record for one of those bandsaws staying in the crate is 3 years, 4 months and 13 days. If you keep going at this pace you shouldn't have a problem breaking that record. :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Uh.......Sam, that record has long since been surpassed, and I don't think Ken can ever wait long enough to catch up to me.:( Due to circumstances well beyond my control, I put a deposit on my MM 20 on my 64 th Birthday, while in Austin (9/23/02), paid the Balance on 9/29/02, then wrote the check to start construction on my new shop on 10/03/02.

With everything "Seemingly" arranged, and anticipating a reasonably Quick completion of my shop, I gave that Smooth Talking Jim feller :D a check for a new FS 350 when I went to the Arlington WW Show to pick up my MM 20 on 10/04/02, and brought them both home at the end of the show a couple of days later.

Long story short, the Contractor took the money, but never finished my shop, which I'm still slowly working on to finish, (in between the various health problems that "Age" seems to be dealing out), and since I still have NO electricity to the shop, my two MM Beauties are still Virgin Tools (even though neither came in a crate, and already had the cosmoline removed).:thumb: Sooooooo...lets see now, this MUST be an ALL TIME record (that I certainly do not enjoy holding), of "5 yrs, 1 mo, 24 days".

I do wonder if there are any other folks around that can Truly Appreciate "MY Definition" of the word "FRUSTRATION".:doh::(:doh:

Considering My record, I think Ken is pretty SPEEDY.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Hey Norman, if you didn't live in Odessa (it's not the middle of nowhere, but you can reach out and touch it from there), maybe we could gather up a weekend crew of Family folks and go finish up your shop for you. ;)

I can sure understand your frustration.

Hey Norman, if you didn't live in Odessa (it's not the middle of nowhere, but you can reach out and touch it from there), maybe we could gather up a weekend crew of Family folks and go finish up your shop for you. ;)

I can sure understand your frustration.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, I'd love to go and do that, but a little far of a commute for me :eek: :wave:

Norm,

I feel your frustration with regards to the health issues!

I've been having intermittant vertigo attacks for 5 years. The past 2 months they have come on with a much higher frequency...sometimes 2-3 a day and every day.

I just got some medicine that I began taking last week and (knock on wood) it seems to be working. The bad news is one of the side effects is dizziness. I have only experienced that Sunday when I was going up and down the ladder installing the last 4 outlets in the ceiling and cleaning out the gutters on the house and the shop.

I have to chuckle...when the inmates here and at SMC lathed me last year, the pushed me to "get turning". Now that I'm in the process of finally finishing the shop, who's pushing me to use the new lathe?....the same inmates who pushed me into the vortex last year.

Hopefully this weekend.

Long story short, the Contractor took the money, but never finished my shop, which I'm still slowly working on to finish, (in between the various health problems that "Age" seems to be dealing out), and since I still have NO electricity to the shop, my two MM Beauties are still Virgin Tools (even though neither came in a crate, and already had the cosmoline removed).:thumb: Sooooooo...lets see now, this MUST be an ALL TIME record (that I certainly do not enjoy holding), of "5 yrs, 1 mo, 24 days".

I do wonder if there are any other folks around that can Truly Appreciate "MY Definition" of the word "FRUSTRATION".:doh::(:doh:

Considering My record, I think Ken is pretty SPEEDY.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh yes Norman, I am fully versed in contractors running off with your money without finishing the job. I am doing the same thing, finishing by myself or having someone else do it and paying for it twice. The bad thing is, this isn't the first time I have allowed this to happen to me. I trust people way to much.
And as for slow? You wouldn't believe it. :rofl:

DT

Oh yes Norman, I am fully versed in contractors running off with your money without finishing the job. I am doing the same thing, finishing by myself or having someone else do it and paying for it twice. The bad thing is, this isn't the first time I have allowed this to happen to me. I trust people way to much.
And as for slow? You wouldn't believe it. :rofl:

DT

Vaughn, Stu, Ken & Don, thanks for the generous thoughts. The Worst thing is what Don mentioned, about having to PAY for it TWICE, (especially since the LOML gave it to me and is making payments on it). :( I'm now at a halt on the inside work in order to fund the roof leak repair, because the Dummies apparently didn't know how to properly install the long commercial roof vent.:rolleyes: Originally I was going to build it myself, but the LOML convinced me that it would be finished much sooner if we just had it built.....:rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl: Where was Steve Ash when I NEEDED him?

Actually, the health problems would have probably slowed down my physical labor part by a total of maybe a year, but the thing that really does the damage is that the costs of of those medical problems just keep taking the money away from the shop fund, and that is why it has been so unbearably slow, (combined with the rising cost of materials, especially for the electrical).

One thing for sure though, is that I'm certainly no quitter, and it WILL get Finished, no matter how long it takes. I'll probably have to put new belts on everything when I start them up though 'cause I'm sure they will either have Dry Rot, or will have taken such a hard "Set" by then that they will vibrate more than a Shimmy Dancer.:doh:

One parting thought to anyone contemplating having a shop built is that if their LOML suggests a particular Contractor, SCRATCH Him OFF the list IMMEDIATELY!!!!:rolleyes:

Now for a little Fun, I would like for everyone to keep their eyes open for someone that has a major tool or tools that have been waiting LONGER than mine to be fired up, and report it here, (so I can get rid of this RIDICULOUS and unwanted RECORD).:thumb:

Last edited:
Norm, what a great woodworkers name.
I think you will be hard pressed to find a longer time than yours But for your sake I hope you loose the record. I bought a skill saw yesterday, plugged it into my converter on the truck and cut the end of the board off that was sticking out the back. I think it was about 1 min 23 sec from the door to the sawdust flyin. Just thought I would throwe that in. Hope you get up and running soon.

Mike

One thing for sure though, is that I'm certainly no quitter, and it WILL get Finished, no matter how long it takes.

Now for a little Fun, I would like for everyone to keep their eyes open for someone that has a major tool or tools that have been waiting LONGER than mine to be fired up, and report it here, (so I can get rid of this RIDICULOUS and unwanted RECORD).:thumb:

GO NORMAN! :biker::biker::biker:

I have a PM209HH that I have not finished aligning the extension tables or plugged into the wall yet?
It's all a part of having had to find someone else to finish the cyclone installation. It's almost a year old now.
I suppose the last time it was run was by some guy from India with a cell phone answering customer service calls from Taiwan. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
The day that sky hook is finally finished I will fire that baby up. :thumb:
It has a great deal of work to do.

Does that count? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT

Last edited:
Hey Ken, Guess where I was today????????????

That 30 ft statue of you outside the city limits does you no justice to your likeness here on fww. ;) :eek::D

joe

Hey Ken,
If you're anywhere near Chicago, you can borrow my engine hoist if you'd like.

Your shop is looking good. I wish I had the ceiling height you do :(

Russ

Russ..........where were you when I lived in Joliet?:rolleyes:

NA....NA.......NANA.....NA.....NA.....

Guess what I see and you don't?

The ugly cardboard box is empty.......the double pallet under it has been relieved of it's load. Even an old goat can safely assemble a 626 lb. spinny thing safely by himself! I used my little giant ladder and part of an old header I replaced on my carport. Put the header on the top rungs (only about 7" span) wrapped chain around it. Hooked a come-along to the chain and hooked the cable to the brace near the end of the lathe. Tipped one end up just high enough to bolt on on leg assembly. Moved the head stock to that end....moved the ladder and the hook to the brace near the other end and tipped that end up and screwed on the other leg assembly. I leveled it. I'm going to get cleaned up and go to a hardware store to get some WD-40 to clean the bed and surfaces up.

Photos later.

If I don't take it for a test drive first.....:D