Bowl #11 - Almost done - not sure whether to finish or not ...

John.......Very nice bowl! Unusual form, and I like it and the wood is gorgeous!

If it were mine, I'd finish only because I know the type of contrast within the grain that would appear when finished and of course the protection finish would provide. As beautiful as that wood is, it would be even more stunning with finish on it! Of course, this is just a matter of taste.....and everyone's taste differs!

Very well done Sir!

John the bowl is well done. I like the form and wood. I don't like staining turned wood but again that is just me. I would use either lacquer or a wipe on poly. I have sold and given away a lot of change or candy dishes with lacquer on them.

Looks real good, John. :thumb: Personally, I'd put a clear finish on it for protection, but I wouldn't stain it. As Bernie suggested, either a wipe-on poly or a spray lacquer would offer good protection.

However you end up finishing it (or not) you did a great job. :clap:

Nice work John! I agree with everyone else in that it should be finished but not with a stain. A neutral colored oil - like Watco Natural or Minwax Antique Oil would really make the grain pop (these both have a slight yellow color to them)! You could always poly or lacquer over the oil finish once it is dry if you wanted more of a gloss. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

john, i have a red elm bowl and lidded box drying right now. i'm looking forward to that red color when they're finished as it was so striking in the log. please post a few pictures of your bowl when you finish it. by the way, good looking job on the turning as well.

You done good John!

Your mother should be really pleased with that one, nice work!

The clearer finish sure lets the wood shine through!

When you consider that is only your 11th bowl, you are doing VERY well. I bet I've funneled more than 11 bowls.......... in the last little while :rolleyes: