I really do know how to make a mess!

Don Taylor

Former Member (by the member's request)
For those of you who have never seen my first shop, here she is.
This is where I picked up the 20 pounds of saw dust that is still in my lungs today. :doh:

Shop2-1.jpg
Shop1-1.jpg

Train.jpg

House001.jpg

My Father started that doll house for my Mother and died before he could complete it. I took it home to my basement. (Indiana)
It took me a year to finish it. All the doors and windows open and close etc. The plaque reads "From a loving Husband and caring son."
My Dad made all of that furniture. I wish you could see it close up.

I also whacked the end of my thumb off on a 4" Dremel table saw making that floor. To this day I never take my eyes off a turning blade. :eek:

DT

Last edited:
What are your shingles ? Strip or individual ?

Those are individual Steve. Thank goodness that was one of the things
Dad had finished before I took over. What a pain! :huh:
There were pieces of those little scutters all over his desk.

DT

Don, that’s a great collaboration on the doll house, any chance of some better pics?

Those were the only pictures I ever took of it Bruce.
When Mom died my brother gave the house to his kids for his grand kids.
I haven't made the trip up there to kill him yet but it is on my to-do list.

DT

The shop doesn't look that bad Don. In fact, it looks a lot like my old shop in the basement and you had the advantage of being able to open the door to lety out some of the dust. :p I just spread mine throughout the house. :doh:

Hi Don
I'm so sorry but English is not my first language sooo....

I did not know that those beautiful things are called in English "Mess" :huh:...every day I learn new words...:eek::)

Fantastic work Don
niki

:eek::eek::eek: Easy Don, this looks like one of those problems that you should procrastinate over. Seems to me that, if you wait long enough, this sort of thing has a way of coming to it's own solution. ;):rofl:

Don't worry Rennie,
I wouldn't hurt the old boy.
I'm of the harmless old man type.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT

Don, in one word, a beautiful doll house, very fine detail work.
It's in many ways a treasure, remembered that your father started with this doll house.
I made 20 years ago two indentical doll houses for my youngest daughter, and for the daughter of a sister, than both at the age of 7, was really a fun.
Still both excist.
Did you made that wooden train? I my town you can buy such wooden trains, and they cost a lot of monye.
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed it. :wave:

Don, in one word, a beautiful doll house, very fine detail work.
It's in many ways a treasure, remembered that your father started with this doll house.
I made 20 years ago two indentical doll houses for my youngest daughter, and for the daughter of a sister, than both at the age of 7, was really a fun.
Still both excist.
Did you made that wooden train? I my town you can buy such wooden trains, and they cost a lot of monye.
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed it. :wave:

Hello Ad,
Yes, I made the train, that is the ShopSmith locomotive. That's it on the bench in the shop pictures.
I sold three of those trains for $350 (US) each. That was a lot of money back then.

http://www.freetoytrainplans.com/index.htm

I use to love making wooden toys but haven't done so in many years.
I use to make extras when I was stationed in Norfolk, Virginia with the military. They had a military hospital and a civilian hospital near me and on Christmas Eve I would take them to the kids that had to be there during Christmas.
I didn't have many tools in those days and could not get as detailed as I would have liked. That's why I have acquired the Hegner scroll saw and the Jet Mini lathe. I intend to try some really detailed things.
One of my ambitions has always been to build a circa 1800's city and people it with Smurf's. :rofl::rofl:

Truck2.jpg
Truck1.jpg
Firetruck3.jpg
Firetruck1.jpg

Airplane5.jpg
Airplane3.jpg
Airplane2.jpg
Airplane4.jpg

Cradle3.jpg
CrayonHolders1.jpg
Santa1.jpg
1stShow.jpg

This is about all the pictures I have of that era. All I had back then was a really cheap camera. I am surprised these survived at all. :rofl:

You can tell these are old pictures. That is my EX in the back ground of the craft show. Haven't seen her in 20 years. (Which is a "Good" thing ;))
The little girl is a neighbor. The toys attracted them like flys.

DT

Thanks Don for showing these pictures of the wooden toys, I really enjoyed it to look to them.
But I had to smile when you talked about your ex, not seeing her for 20 years,
and your remark that this was a good thing, oh boy.
Well I'm happely married for almost 41 years with the same lady, and are still in love like a young dog.
BTW. I know a guy in my town who build the old town in miniature, so he made a real model of the old town as it looks like in the 1300 years, so a long time ago.
Try to find a picture of this model, and post it.
You know I live in a very old town full with beautiful old buildings, Bergen op Zoom is in september select to the most beautiful town in the Netherlands.
If I find a couple of nice areal pictures, I'll post them too.

Have fun.

Ad:wave:

Thanks Don for showing these pictures of the wooden toys, I really enjoyed it to look to them.
But I had to smile when you talked about your ex, not seeing her for 20 years,
and your remark that this was a good thing, oh boy.
Well I'm happely married for almost 41 years with the same lady, and are still in love like a young dog.
BTW. I know a guy in my town who build the old town in miniature, so he made a real model of the old town as it looks like in the 1300 years, so a long time ago.
Try to find a picture of this model, and post it.
You know I live in a very old town full with beautiful old buildings, Bergen op Zoom is in september select to the most beautiful town in the Netherlands.
If I find a couple of nice areal pictures, I'll post them too.

Have fun.

Ad:wave:

Wonderful Ad!
I would love to see both the miniature town and pictures of your home town. Also, as I was going to sleep last night I was thinking about those doll houses you built. Would you post a few pictures of them for us?

I am very glad to hear that you have one of those marriages that truly worked. It does the heart good to hear about them. Tell that pretty wife of yours that Don said hello from the USA. :wave:

DT

Don, I tell my dear lady that you said hello to her, she will be surprised.
I have found a site of Bergen op Zoom with a video presentation.
I'll post this site on the off topics. The video is 15 Mb large, and shows a lot of my livingplace.
If I have the chance to make a picture of the doll house, I'll do that.
Only it's not so beautiful as yours.

Ad :thumb: