cutting boards for christmas

Here are a couple of cutting boards I made for Christmas presents. The first one is 12 x 14 and made from cherry, maple, and purple heart. It's for my son's teacher. It never hurts to butter them up.

The second I "borrowed" from Vaughn McMillan's website. He has an excellent tutorial. Thanks Vaughn. It's maple, walnut, and purple heart. It's aprox. 10 x 18. If I make another I will change the purple heart. It doesn't show up very well.
I teach 8th grade science and this one is probably destined for one of the special ed. teachers.

Attachments

• november 07 cutting boards 001 (768 x 512).jpg
    november 07 cutting boards 001 (768 x 512).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 76
  • november 07 cutting boards 003 (600 x 400).jpg
    november 07 cutting boards 003 (600 x 400).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 85
  • november 07 cutting boards 004 (768 x 512).jpg
    november 07 cutting boards 004 (768 x 512).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 40
  • november 07 cutting boards 005 (600 x 400).jpg
    november 07 cutting boards 005 (600 x 400).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 34
Very cool, John. You did a great job on both. They'll both make great gifts. :thumb: I'm glad the tutorial was of some help. You can get all sorts of cool results by switching the wood species around.

John,

Your boards look good! :thumb:

Is the angled board end grain or long grain? Its hard to tell from the picture.

I ended up with a very dark board on my first attempt. I used Walnut, Cherry, and Purpleheart too. My wife likes it, but I think its a little to dark for me.

Overall I was disappointed in using Purpleheard on the boards (have done 2 so far). It gets very dark when the mineral oil is added. I feel that it looses much of its distinctive purple color once oiled. Especially for me that was the reason why I used it. Interestingly, it shows up more purplely when I take a picture of it, than when actually looking at it.

So far, Walnut, Cherry and Maple, look really good after they are oiled, so I will probably keep using them in some combination.

I did a "lght" board that was maple and cherry checkered. That one oiled up very nicely. Unfortunatly due to a few errors on my part, I need to make another.

Sean, thanks for the complements.

The angled board is long grain.

The rectangular board is end grain. I agree about the purpleheart. After I oiled it the purpleheart turned almost black. I don't think I'll use it in another board.

Beautiful cutting boards John

I never tried to make cutting board but, if one day I'll make something beautiful like yours....no way that I'll give them as a present....except to myself...

niki