Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pen Swap Anyone? (closed)

Pen Swap Anyone? (closed)

How many would be interested in doing a pen swap? The way I see it would be for anyone who would like to be involved to just say "I'M IN". Once you commit to being involved all you have to do is make a pen that you'd like to send to someone and that person would send one to you. I know it's too late to start this for a Christmas exchange but if the spirit moves you, great.

Anyone who wants to get involved please just say so in this thread. I'm thinking that if each of those involved was to make a European style pen they would all be somewhat alike as far as the kits and the big differences would be in the wood, acrylic or whatever you choose to make yours out of.
    To give everyone plenty of time to decide to get involved and make the pens I'll take the names of everyone who registers, put them in a hat and draw them out in pairs. I'll do this on the 15th of December. Is this enough time to make up your minds? I'll post the list of pairs and each of us can contact his/her partner to exchange mailing addresses by PM.

If that is okay with everyone, I think that January 3rd should be a good date by which to have the pens completed and in the mail. Also, those who want to can post photos of the pens they've sent out. I hope enough of us will take the time to give it a shot.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,
    .....Gord

I'm in, but I pity the person that has to pay to ship my pen to Japan
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, it can't be much worse than shipping a pen to Queensland, Australia - I sent one out yesterday - $21.00!!!!!

I'm in - but it will have to wait until after the first of the year on my calendar. If you want a January 3 deadline, I'll have to opt out this time, darn it!!

Nancy (24 days)
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    I'm in - but it will have to wait until after the first of the year on my calendar. If you want a January 3 deadline, I'll have to opt out this time, darn it!!
    I didn't mean that January 3rd was a deadline. It's just a suggestion and I'd like feedback from everyone as to the date we should use. Do you have a suggestion, Nancy?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I'm in, but I pity the person that has to pay to ship my pen to Japan
    Just remember, Stu, you'll also have to pay shipping to the same person who is paying to send yours.
    I guess it kinda evens out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Stu, it can't be much worse than shipping a pen to Queensland, Australia - I sent one out yesterday - $21.00!!!!!

Nancy (24 days)
    Heh, Nancy, I sent one to Queensland yesterday too, but it cvost me over $35. Of course, I sent a few blanks with it.

Oops, Gord, like others, I'd be inclined to go along, but the 3 Jan thing makes it out of reach for me. Too many irons in the fire just now. Christmas for family members still not done and probably won't be until right up until I leave for Texas.
    Last edited by Billy Burt; 11-27-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Forgot part of the message

I'm in if the deadline is pushed back at least a couple weeks.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Gord, as a suggestion, why don't we make it a Valentine's exchange, with a goal of having pens exchanged and in hand by February 14? We could also see how many RED pens could be made.

I'm not a big fan of sticking with the same pen style, as I intensely dislike turning Europeans, but I'll do it if the majority rules.

A pen exchange would be fun--let's go for it.

Nancy (24 days)
    Last edited by Nancy Laird; 11-27-2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Forgot which forum I was on!!!
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Since nobody seems to want to suggest an alternate completion date how does February 8th sound? It gives everyone another month; is that enough time?
    Is December 15 okay for deciding whether you want to be in this? That would give everyone 8 weeks to finish their pen once they know who they are making it for.
    Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Just saw Nancy's reply after posting this. I think a Valentine's pen is a great idea!!! Anyone else? Also, the type of pen could be left up to the individual if that's okay with the others. Hey, I'm easy, just ask my wife.
    Last edited by Gord Rock; 11-27-2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added after seeing another post

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Rock View Post
    Since nobody seems to want to suggest an alternate completion date how does February 8th sound? It gives everyone another month; is that enough time?
    Is December 15 okay for deciding whether you want to be in this? That would give everyone 8 weeks to finish their pen once they know who they are making it for.
    Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Did you see my post about Valentine's Day, Gord??

Nancy (24 days)
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com