Hollow Form #6

Experimenting with various shapes. This one is out of spalted birch and is 8” x 4 ½”. Sanded to 400, finish is Watco ‘Natural’ oil, buffed.

HF 6 View 1.jpg HF 6 View 2.jpg HF 6 View 3.jpg HF 6 View 4.jpg

Any and all comments or suggestions are appreciated! Especially looking for any more input with regards to photography!

Thanks for looking!

Steve, your experiment went out well, I like it, beautiful wood.
And there is nothing wrong with the pictures, the pictures are very clear to me. Keep em going, great job. :thumb:

Man, that's a pretty one, Steve. Beautiful wood. Number 6? I'd say you seem to have the knack.

The photos look great. The only suggestion I can think of would be to try lightening the pics a bit more -- especially the last two. I like to bump up the "Lighten Shadows" slider a little bit in Photoshop Elements, followed by a similar bump to the "Midtone Contrast" slider.

Here's a screen shot from the "Quick Fix" view in PS Elements. I only moved the Lighten Shadows" slider (which started all the way to the left) and the "Midtone Contrast" slider (which started in the middle position):

PS Tweaking 800.jpg

And here's the result of that tweaking, as well as rotating the piece 1 degree to the right:

Steve Schlumpf HF 6 View 3T.jpg

Does this help?

Vaughn - everything helps at this stage! The 'copy' of photoshop that I have is version 5 and all the adjusts are very time consuming and make huge differences. I have been playing with them some - just need a little more time to figure out what works and what doesn't. Like I said - all information helps - so thanks!

Biggest difference for me with the photos was taking your suggestion about the slider controlling the compression. Went from a 10 (max) down to a 7 and found very little change in photo appearance and a huge difference in viewing size! Been looking for that for over a year now! A big thanks for that one!

Glad it was some help, Steve. That "Quality" slider eluded me for quite a while too (originally in Irfanview, but also in Photoshop). As you saw, it makes very little if any visible difference on-screen, but it will make a difference on prints, so I always save "fat" and "thin" versions of my good shots. All the shows I've been entering require photos for the jury process, so it's handy having a few good prints.

I can also relate to the differences between the Photoshop versions. I use Photoshop LE V4.0 at the office and a current version of Photoshop Elements at home. The "Elements" edition is a lot easier to use. I've also got Photoshop 7 available at the office, but I haven't gotten around to installing it. My photoshopping at work is limited to screen shots and other simple graphics, so I've not really needed the extra complexity of version 7.