Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tile flooring question

Tile flooring question

This isn't wood related, but I'm hoping we have some tile experts here. I will be laying tile for a client in his kitchen, DR and LR. The LR is stepped down. What type of nosing should I use at the step down? Here's a sketch for an idea of what I'm talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails floor.jpg  

I did that once just like you drew it. I just overlapped the horizontal tiles to where they were flush with the vertical tiles and left a gap for a grout line. It came out nice with no visible brake from vertical to horizontal.

In my small experience, it depends on what type of tile you are using. Ceramic tyle may not have the glazing all the way down the edges of the tile. If not, it might look odd just lapping it over the vertical edge. Check with your tile supplier, there may be a matching or even contrasting edge piece or bull nose tile that can be used at the edge. Contrasting color might be good as a warning the the level changes here.
    If the sides of the tile are glazed, then I'd do it like Allen suggested and it would look very nice. Just check the tile that your customer has picked out to know the best way to go. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

If there is a bullnose available then use Jim's method If no Bullnose then follow Allen. Remember to use the tile edge not the cut edge if you have to cut (as it is closer to a rolled over or bullnose than a cut edge would be. also remember to keep the Tread part of the step on top of the riser.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Remember to use the tile edge not the cut edge if you have to cut (as it is closer to a rolled over or bullnose than a cut edge would be.
    Very good point. I put the cut tiles at the back.

Thanks guys. I can't use the edge of the tile. They are ceramic and not glazed down the edge. I'll have to find some type of nosing. The clients are sourcing the material from HD. I'll probably have to help them out with locating something to use as nosing.

Actually Ed, Sometimes they don't look too bad. Mock up a piece or two and see if it is OK with the Client. I have seen it both ways.

Wet tile saw and a 45 degree cuts? Tile saws are pretty cheap now and do a good job. I have done a lot of tile work but never tired this. But the more I think about it I don't like it. The edges would probably chip.

Never mind.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

No worries Jeff! I thought of that too! I'll probably run to one of the tile stores tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    I'll have to find some type of nosing. The clients are sourcing the material from HD. I'll probably have to help them out with locating something to use as nosing.
    ummm, yer kidding right?

Just my 2 cents, but if they're sourcing it, its their problem. Or in the words of my late father "you getting paid for this?"

That said, if it were my problem, and I were interested in helping them solve it, I'd probably use a nice contrasting bullnose tile, or perhaps make something out of natural stone that would serve the same purpose - that way it doesn't have to match per se, just has to look good. I've also seen tile cut into thin strips to go around curves with thin grout lines in between, a variation on what Allen and Bill have suggested - perhaps there's an idea waiting down that way.
    Last edited by John Dow; 11-29-2007 at 08:30 AM.