Thread: A question for Stu....

A question for Stu....

Stu, I am of short memory and even shorter computer skills and I was unable to find the thread you started about the Japanese style turned boxes with both internal and external lids.

Would you please tell me again what the Japanese name for this style box is?

I would appreciate it.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Hi Mike,

I'm not Stu but think I know what you are referring to. Japanese tea containers have inside & outside lids.

-Gari

Yes, Gari, that is what I am referring to but I was hoping that Stu could give me the name for that container in Japanese. I had it written down somewhere and misplaced it.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Right My Japanese isn't anwhere near Stu's standard (my wife is Japanese) but I beleive it's Chaire or Natsume, depending on what style. The former would be the tall slim syle. Do they ring a bell?

No, Gari, I fear my bell has been rung so many times that that is the reason I cannot remember where I put the notes I took when Stu turned boxes of that style.

Stu wrote: in thread http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=5497

I had a turning buddy show up here today, he was in the area, so he stopped by. He is a really good turner, teaches and has recently built a school, but his main interest is in the more typical Japanese style of turnings, tops, and such, but he does good stuff. He thought my first box was good, he liked the fit of the lid, the pop it makes when you take it off was "Good" he said.

We got to chatting and he suggested that I make a "Chazutsu" which is the Japanese tea container, stuff like this.......

....... you get the idea. Just to be clear, I did NOT make any of these, they are only example of the type of thing I'd like to make.

The inner and outer lid add another level of difficulty, but it should not be that hard to do.

They have fairly strict sizing for the real thing, the size determines how much tea each will hold.

Thanks again for the info!
    Last edited by Chas Jones; 11-30-2007 at 12:55 AM.
    Chas. just a traveller on the road of time.

Bits & Pieces Gallery
    My Web Site

Thank you very much Charles. I tried on several attempts to locate that thread but just did not have the right words when doing the search. I do appreciate it.

Nice catch Chas, thanks!

Mike, sorry to be late, give them a try, they are fun and hard to do, use very hard wood!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward