A question for Stu....

Mike Stafford

Stu, I am of short memory and even shorter computer skills and I was unable to find the thread you started about the Japanese style turned boxes with both internal and external lids.

Would you please tell me again what the Japanese name for this style box is?

I would appreciate it.

Right :) My Japanese isn't anwhere near Stu's standard (my wife is Japanese) but I beleive it's Chaire or Natsume, depending on what style. The former would be the tall slim syle. Do they ring a bell?

Stu wrote: in thread http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5497

I had a turning buddy show up here today, he was in the area, so he stopped by. He is a really good turner, teaches and has recently built a school, but his main interest is in the more typical Japanese style of turnings, tops, and such, but he does good stuff. He thought my first box was good, he liked the fit of the lid, the pop it makes when you take it off was "Good" he said.

We got to chatting and he suggested that I make a "Chazutsu" which is the Japanese tea container, stuff like this.......

....... you get the idea. Just to be clear, I did NOT make any of these, they are only example of the type of thing I'd like to make.

The inner and outer lid add another level of difficulty, but it should not be that hard to do.

They have fairly strict sizing for the real thing, the size determines how much tea each will hold.

Thanks again for the info! :wave:

Last edited: