Class Project

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I frequent a small travel-related forum of about 15-20 members who've all known each other (and in some cases met in person) for nearly 10 years. Over the years, we have all sent each other postcards as we travel around the world. (I used to travel a lot for work, but not much any more.)

One of the guys on that forum posted this today, and I thought it might be fun to pass it on over here too, for anyone interested in helping.

As a father of two young boys, this post will be the final nail in the coffin of my former kidless life - I'm actually going to hit people up for a class project. I thought this day would never arrive.

However, on the bright side, for the project at hand I can't think of a better group of people. My son's kindergarten class is tracking "the Gingerbread Man" around the globe, and the goal is to get postcards from as many locations as possible so they can be tracked on a map. Kindergarten or not, this to me sounds like a pretty worthwhile project and a good way to learn how to read a map.

Should you choose to join the merriment, simply send a postcard that somehow depicts your location with the notation "The Gingerbread Man was spotted in <your location>. Mail it to:

Mrs. Townsend and Mrs. Glynn
Darcey School
1686 Waterbury Road
Cheshire, CT 06410 USA

Nothing else is needed. I'd especially appreciate non-U.S. input on this if possible.

Thanks!

John

P.S. Thanks, guys. My wife wants tons of these things and so does my son. So he gets "credit" (not that this is a contest), you might even modify the message a bit to say: "Stephen, the Gingerbread Man was spotted in <your location>."
So, if any Family members have an urge to send a postcard somewhere, this would be a cool place to send it. (Especially any of you who are not in the US.)

I'm not sure if my friend John will see the end result, but in the event he does, it'd be neat for you to write "Family Woodworking" on it somewhere.

Just passin' it on...:wave:

OK, I'm in, I'll have to get a post card :huh:
You could always just print a photo of your building, or the L Shop, or the Dungeon. ;) I'm thinking of doing something similar, since my particular little town in LA doesn't rate having its own "Greetings From Tujunga" postcard. :p

I'll see if I can't stop by The Henry Ford and get a postcard from there. It would add a little interest to the discussion.

I was thinking a "Nengajo" which is a "New Years" card here in Japan, they are like post cards, with a pic on them. We have some nice ones this year, one has Mt. Fuji on it :thumb:

Great idea Vaughn, I'm in, lets see what I can find here in Holland, maybe something like the famous Dutch windmills.
Think this will something great to send with Christmass. :thumb:

I guess I could always send this one:

View attachment 14944

Vaughn,
I'll be sure and send a postcard for the class project, but I have to say, your postcard sure put a smile on my face.
I was a road warrior for most of the late 80's and first half of the 90's. I would drive all over the US, and I both collected and sent postcards home. One of my favorite long running jokes with my mom was the '_____ at night' series of cards. I'm sure you won't mind, but I'm going to pull that jpg down and email it to her and make her day. (not quite the same as getting one in the mail, but it will do)

Thanks for the chuckle!

Yeah Ned, when I was traveling a lot in the early and mid 90s, I tried to pick up the "at night" postcard for every city that I could. I also picked one up in San Francisco that was something like this:

San Francisco in the Fog.jpg

Some of the most appreciated postcards I ever sent were back in the early 80s when I was traveling with a band all over the Rocky Mountain states. Money was tight, so a couple of us would cut postcard-sized pieces from cold cereal boxes, and just write on the blank side. Nothing says "Wish you were here" like a Super Sugar Crisp postcard from Montana. :D