Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Griz progress report

My new Griz progress report

Figured it was time for a break. Workin' up a sweat even though it's chilly out and back is screaming "Uncle". It's happening, and pictures to prove it. After a sleepless night convincing myself I couldn't wrassle a grizzly bar alone I set to the task after a.m. coffee. First picture is with plywood removed. Gotta say, them Chinese know how to pack things. Almost an hour chore there alone. Then I removed the legs, they were bolted on to the main bed with welded steel angle iron things. All touching points well padded and protected. They are heavy suckers. Put in shop near final resting place. Then I jacked up one end of the bed and removed the headstock. Easier said than done. Bed was bolted to the crate legs. After jacking up I found the nut holding the headstock on was 1 1/8". I had almost sold or given away my wrench set for the old tractor. It has 3/4" drive and large sockets. Glad I kept it. Got headstock off and set on sawhorses. Just getting it there was a major grunt and back strain for me, almost exceeded my limit. Very heavy. Next, after dragging the bed across the shop floor, I managed to bolt on one leg. Instructions kept saying "with assistant" . Yeh, sure. "with assistant" [fill in the appropriate expletive] When my sons moved out for college I had to learn to be very resourceful and do things, mainly farm work, alone. No more saying "hold this", "hand me that" or "lift here". That's how I'm doing this. Alone. And me, the original 99 lb weaking. That is until my wife found another man. Emeril. Skinny little guy is now hidden inside an expanding waistline. Still have a few muscles left from cow puncing days. Heavy headstock will get, safely, across shop and on assembled bed. Don't know how yet, but it will happen. More to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uncrated.jpg   legs off.jpg   first leg on.jpg   headstock off.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank, I feel for you, wish I was near by, I'd just come over and pick it up for you

You really need a sky hook in your workshop there, or even just a tripod with a hoist on it?

Something like this...........

Take care of that back!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

When you've finally got it together I hope you're not going to be too sore to do some turning. That would really suck!!
    Looking forward to some more photos. Enjoy, Frank.

well guys, I lied

Sorry, 'bout that. Said I would do it myself. But, on rare occasion, my smart out ranks my stubborn. Headstock was simply way to heavy, and subject to damage, for me to move alone. Called a good friend. He had to come a ways to help. It only took two minutes but we did it. Even with two of us carrying, it was a grunt. Heavy sum-ub-a-gun. First picture is headstock in question, just setting there defying me. Final shot is lathe set-up. Not quite ready to go, needs 220 wiring brought in. That's next week. On happy side, it sets level. I adjusted the feet once, used level and all is right on. Will check level and square again in about a week. Figure let set and settle for a while. First project might be a bowl for helpful friend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe in place.jpg   grunt headstock.jpg  

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank,

You be careful! I'm contemplating the same thing....with my PM.

I'm cleaning up and moving stuff so I can get to it.

Watch that back!

Wise move getting help, Frank. Looks good all set up and such. The week or so of waiting for the 220v power would be killin' me.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Congrats Frank. That is a fine looking lathe. You will have to let us know how she runs when you get the 220 in.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Well done Frank! Congratulations! Can't wait to see more pictures of shipping boxes!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Well done Frank! Congratulations! Can't wait to see more pictures of shipping boxes!
    The shipping crate wood is now part of my shooting range backstop. You are welcome to come and pick it up anytime I'm using the range.

Congrats, Frank! Can't wait to see what you make with it first.