My new Griz progress report

Frank Fusco

Figured it was time for a break. Workin' up a sweat even though it's chilly out and back is screaming "Uncle". It's happening, and pictures to prove it. After a sleepless night convincing myself I couldn't wrassle a grizzly bar alone I set to the task after a.m. coffee. First picture is with plywood removed. Gotta say, them Chinese know how to pack things. Almost an hour chore there alone. Then I removed the legs, they were bolted on to the main bed with welded steel angle iron things. All touching points well padded and protected. They are heavy suckers. Put in shop near final resting place. Then I jacked up one end of the bed and removed the headstock. Easier said than done. Bed was bolted to the crate legs. After jacking up I found the nut holding the headstock on was 1 1/8". I had almost sold or given away my wrench set for the old tractor. It has 3/4" drive and large sockets. Glad I kept it. Got headstock off and set on sawhorses. Just getting it there was a major grunt and back strain for me, almost exceeded my limit. Very heavy. Next, after dragging the bed across the shop floor, I managed to bolt on one leg. Instructions kept saying "with assistant" :rofl:. Yeh, sure. "with assistant" [fill in the appropriate expletive] When my sons moved out for college I had to learn to be very resourceful and do things, mainly farm work, alone. No more saying "hold this", "hand me that" or "lift here". That's how I'm doing this. Alone. And me, the original 99 lb weaking. That is until my wife found another man. Emeril. :laugh2: Skinny little guy is now hidden inside an expanding waistline. Still have a few muscles left from cow puncing days. Heavy headstock will get, safely, across shop and on assembled bed. Don't know how yet, but it will happen. More to follow.

Attachments

• uncrated.jpg
    uncrated.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 146
  • legs off.jpg
    legs off.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 134
  • first leg on.jpg
    first leg on.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 145
  • headstock off.jpg
    headstock off.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 171
Frank, I feel for you, wish I was near by, I'd just come over and pick it up for you :D

You really need a sky hook in your workshop there, or even just a tripod with a hoist on it?

Something like this...........

scale%20tripod%20pic%202.gif

Take care of that back!:D

well guys, I lied

Sorry, 'bout that. Said I would do it myself. :( But, on rare occasion, my smart out ranks my stubborn. ;) Headstock was simply way to heavy, and subject to damage, for me to move alone. Called a good friend. He had to come a ways to help. It only took two minutes but we did it. Even with two of us carrying, it was a grunt. Heavy sum-ub-a-gun. First picture is headstock in question, just setting there defying me. Final shot is lathe set-up. Not quite ready to go, needs 220 wiring brought in. That's next week. On happy side, it sets level. I adjusted the feet once, used level and all is right on. :thumb: Will check level and square again in about a week. Figure let set and settle for a while. First project might be a bowl for helpful friend.

Attachments

• lathe in place.jpg
    lathe in place.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 137
  • grunt headstock.jpg
    grunt headstock.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 118
Frank,

You be careful! I'm contemplating the same thing....with my PM.

I'm cleaning up and moving stuff so I can get to it.

Watch that back!

Wise move getting help, Frank. :thumb: Looks good all set up and such. The week or so of waiting for the 220v power would be killin' me. :p

But now he has a lathe that'll go slow for bowls, so he's probably anxious to get one of them started. Frank might actually discover bowl gouges aren't evil after all. :p

Very perceptive of you. Actually, one of my first goals is to learn to tame the bowl gouge. I have four setting unused. So far, have never gotten past the 'touch and catch' phase.

Wise move getting help, Frank. :thumb: Looks good all set up and such. The week or so of waiting for the 220v power would be killin' me. :p

If the breaker box was in my shop & had the space I would have had the plug installed by now & been turning. Not knowing you situation it may not be this easy for you.

The first thing I look at when we go house hunting is the gar/shop & where the breaker box is. If the LOML is happy with the house & after my inspection & a house inspectors check out it meets the proper quality standards & the shop has what I need then it will be onto the negotiations. Cars will never enter this shop.

If the breaker box was in my shop & had the space I would have had the plug installed by now & been turning. Not knowing you situation it may not be this easy for you.

The first thing I look at when we go house hunting is the gar/shop & where the breaker box is. If the LOML is happy with the house & after my inspection & a house inspectors check out it meets the proper quality standards & the shop has what I need then it will be onto the negotiations. Cars will never enter this shop.

My 'shop' is actually an extra-long one car garage under the hillside house. In rural areas there are virtually no 'standards' that must be met. If you recall some of my earlier posts regarding electricity, I'm just not capable of doing the wiring. A friend will come (hopefully) this week and connect to the box. I'll string the wire from machine to box and let him connect. It will be done right. I wouldn't know where, or how, to begin. As for a garage-garage. We have a pole barn building, I believe 35'X40' with rear 10' extension, that has a double garage door on it. Piled to the rafters inside with 'stuff' my wife refuses to throw out. Neither car or truck has even been inside.