My new Griz progress report

OK, not first shavings but first attempt at a project. This hunk of very hard dunno wood will (might) end up a hollow form. Got an opportunity to experience the EVS. Found the control is very sensitive, a tiny turn can increase RPMs a lot. Love that soft start, had to hit the emergency red turn-off button once. Good feature. The picture is actually with the wood turning but my flash froze the motion better than I expected. The lathe runs very smoothly and quietly. Even with fresh, out of balance, hunk on there was no detectable motion of the lathe, solid. I wanted to test the power by really putting a gouge to the wood. But my new Steb center proved a huge disappointment. I think it thinks it is really a Forstner bit. Wouldn't hold worth diddly. I would tighten the tailstock and the Steb would just dig in deeper. So trying hard just stopped the wood. Lathe kept going. One surprise, I watched the digital read-out and found that the RPMs actually increased as I put the tool to the wood. With a load, the speed would increase about 10 to 20 RPM. That is, until the Steb/Forstner started digging in. Finally got my tenon turned. Will put chuck on sometime tomorrow and see wat hoppens. Forgot pics. Will add in another post.

Last edited:
I am trying to sell my books to a legitimate publisher. Some people who are self-published call themselves 'published'. I don't accept that. Anyone can have a book printed. To me, that isn't being 'published'. But, thanks for asking. Maybe someday. If it happens, guaranteed, I will let you know.

I agree about vanity press, kind of sad in a sense. I'm glad to hear you are not one of "Those" :thumb:

I'll look forward to seeing one of your books when they do get published Frank.

Good to see you getting 'er dirty there, Frank. From the looks of the remains on the lathe bed, I'm guessing that's some pretty hard wood. When you gonna mount a piece of something green, so you can make mountains of curlies? :p

I think any spur center is gonna dig in when it's competing against a motor in that size range. If you want to test the power, maybe a faceplate would be more exciting. ;) Don't push it too hard, though. Don't want to break off a screw or tool rest.

Good to see you getting 'er dirty there, Frank. From the looks of the remains on the lathe bed, I'm guessing that's some pretty hard wood. When you gonna mount a piece of something green, so you can make mountains of curlies? :p

I think any spur center is gonna dig in when it's competing against a motor in that size range. If you want to test the power, maybe a faceplate would be more exciting. ;) Don't push it too hard, though. Don't want to break off a screw or tool rest.

Green? I don't have access to green wood unless I paint it. ;)
Actually, the only green wood I might be able to get would be oak or hickory, neither really desirable turning woods. I have piles of other, very well seasoned woods wanting to be turned. Mulberry, Osage Orange, Maple, and a lot of dunnos.
Yer right. As long as the power is doing what I want, limits are unimportant.
BTW, I think I'm going to discard that particular piece. The shavings were really more dust than anything. It wasn't fun to turn and outcome probably wouldn't be attractive.

It just gits gooder and gooder. Got a check in mail from Grizzly today. Looks like the check-out person at the store miscalculated my total when I bought the lathe and some other goodies. The check is only $5.25 but money is always nice. And, I have to wonder how many companies even have a system that would audit things like that. And, how many would send the refund?

That's great Frank! I doubt many company's would do this. Reaffirms my thoughts of Grizzly being a great company...and I don't even own any of their equipment. My dad has one of their lathes (G0462) and says the sales and service can't be better!!:thumb:

Frank...
I've enjoyed this thread, and appreciate the time you took to describe your experience and post photos. Although I'm a longtime Grizzly customer I had talked myself into the Jet 708360 (220v, 2hp version of the JWL-1642-2EVS). I could get one for $1520, free shipping as long as I was willing to drive to the terminal in Allentown to pick it up (about 70 miles round trip, which translates to $15 or so at today's diesel prices). Anyway, now that I've read all your posts (twice) I've swung over to the Grizzly G0632. Maybe I'll get serial# 003. Pretty soon if I walk out into my shop wearing a green shirt you won't be able to find me. Not sure when I'll get this, but it will be soon. It's a hike for me to get to Muncy (150 mi), but even with fuel prices I can beat the shipping cost of $94, and it will give me an opportunity to drool on the tools...love that showroom. Anyway, with fuel costs, PA sales tax, and selling price I'll be out the door at about $1430 vs the $1535 otd for the Jet. Based on your posts to date (thanks again for that) I'm looking forward to another satisfying Grizzly experience (let me know if you grow to hate it in the next couple of weeks :)).

Ed, glad you enjoyed the posts. I'm a pretty critical guy. I did not become a Grizzly fan by accident. They earned my business. There are some differences between the Grizzly G0632 and Jet 1642 that can generate endless debate. But, I'm sure you will be more than just satisfied with the Griz. I'm also pretty sure it will cut deeply into the market share of other makes that cost more as it embodies features previously only found on lathes costing about $1,000.00 more, or higher. Enjoy the visit to the Griz store. At the Springfield, MO store I go to, they have a huge room off to the side for scratch and dents and discontinued items. I always head there first. Some great bargains. Last time, I used my cell phone to call a friend who was looking for a milling machine. They had one at a very low price. He headed over that day and bought it. Take time to talk to some of the sales people on the floor, very friendly and knowledgeable.

ed, i'll stick my two cents in here and then duck...but i looked at that jet lathe also. ended up with the nova for various reasons but....one feature that i really like with the nova is the rotating head. the grizzly has that feature as well. when turning the ID of a deep bowl or box it is very handy to rotate the head 15deg so you can stand in a comfortable postion and not lean over the bed. with the jet you would have to slide the head to the end of the bed for a comparable stance. not hard to do either but my lighting and other space concerns would make that a poorer choice.

Clark...
Thanks for that input. I didn't really think about it, just figured I'd slide the head down to the end. But now that you mention it, the location that this lathe is going to end up in, I'd have similar space constraints. Another vote for the Bear.

Clark...
Thanks for that input. I didn't really think about it, just figured I'd slide the head down to the end. But now that you mention it, the location that this lathe is going to end up in, I'd have similar space constraints. Another vote for the Bear.[/QUOTE

When I got my G0632 I also bought a tool rest extension. I bought it as a replacement part for a different model lathe as the 0632 doesn't offer one yet. I'm sure it is just a listing oversight. But check other models that have it, make sure the post diameter is the same. The price was only about $8.00. BTW, I like the swivel feature also for reason mentioned. No bending over. Easy on back, especially with hollowing projects that can take a long time.

Frank...
I'm not sure what you mean by a tool rest extension (I'm a rookie turner...have pity). Do you mean a longer tool rest?...or one of those thingies that I see holding the tool rest outboard of the swiveled headstock (probably not that for $8). Enlightenment, sir, if you please. Thanks.

Hard to tell by the photo, but that extension looks like the one that comes with the Jet 1236.

If it is, they are prone to breaking and ruining the banjo at the same time.

What worked for me on the 1236 was to support the extension with a 2x4. I found it best to keep the 2x4 as close as possible to the tool rest's post and long enough to reach the floor.

Hard to tell by the photo, but that extension looks like the one that comes with the Jet 1236.

If it is, they are prone to breaking and ruining the banjo at the same time.

What worked for me on the 1236 was to support the extension with a 2x4. I found it best to keep the 2x4 as close as possible to the tool rest's post and long enough to reach the floor.

I am aware of the possible breakage problem. A catch, combined with the additional leverage could be dramatic. I'll try to be alert to that and plan to avoid 'catchy' type woods. e.g. lotsa knots, etc. My use of the swivel head and extension will be to avoid having to bend over for long periods of time. I think that the hollowing tool will be most of the swiveling and extension work I'll be doing. BTW, it could be identical to the Jet as, reportedly/supposedly, the brands come out of the same factory.

Frank...
I get it now...thanks for that. Lot more work to take a digital photo, transfer it to Photoshop to size and clean it up, and post it than just some typing...I appreciate the effort.

Frank...
I thought I was making a joke on page 5 when I said maybe I'll get Serial #003...can you believe it, I did. Drove over to Muncy today to pick it up. I'm sure mine will perform orders of magnitude better than yours because of all the experience gained building yours before starting on mine. Well, maybe not. I used to work for a company that did computer manufacturing, and here's something I learned...when a new product was coming out, everyone (up to the president of the company) was interested in the first units off the line. So of course the manufacturing people were extremely diligent with those. If things seemed to be going well, eventually the top level interest would wane and the manufacturing diligence would lighten up as well. So I don't mind having an early number...I'm sure it was shepherded with great care through the line.

Still don't have this beast together. Have to spend a little time rigging a hoist to get the bloody bed off the floor so I can get the legs bolted to it. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow morning.

I walked around the showroom at Muncy with some napkins so I could wipe the drool off the tools.

Frank...
I thought I was making a joke on page 5 when I said maybe I'll get Serial #003...can you believe it, I did. Drove over to Muncy today to pick it up. I'm sure mine will perform orders of magnitude better than yours because of all the experience gained building yours before starting on mine. Well, maybe not. I used to work for a company that did computer manufacturing, and here's something I learned...when a new product was coming out, everyone (up to the president of the company) was interested in the first units off the line. So of course the manufacturing people were extremely diligent with those. If things seemed to be going well, eventually the top level interest would wane and the manufacturing diligence would lighten up as well. So I don't mind having an early number...I'm sure it was shepherded with great care through the line.

Still don't have this beast together. Have to spend a little time rigging a hoist to get the bloody bed off the floor so I can get the legs bolted to it. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow morning.

I walked around the showroom at Muncy with some napkins so I could wipe the drool off the tools.
Not the best stealth gloat I've ever seen, but a pretty good one there, Ed. Congrats on becoming the proud owner of #003. :thumb: We'll all be expecting pics, of course. ;)

Ed, that's interesting. #003 :thumb: I was able to lift the bed and legs myself but the head was beyond me. I had to get help for that and even two of us had a grunt moving it.
Word of advice, hope it's not too late. Cut a board for your shelf BEFORE assembly. No way, no how can you get one in afterwards. I had to use jacks, partially disassemble, and take a risk to put mine in. I had two 60 # sacks of sand from the old lathe so I added those on a 2"X12" shelf. Total weight is now around 600 pounds.
I really enjoy going to the Grizzly showroom. Couple reasons, I have a 'thing' for bears, part of my reenactment passion probably. I have worn a bear claw necklace constantly for more than 35 years and have a half dozen others I wear on special occasions. (am I digressing? :rolleyes: ) Enneyhow, just seeing those large stuffed griz bars there is fun. Plus all the equipment, like you say, makes you drool. It's a learning experience looking at what the 'better' models have than the ones you/I can afford.
BTW, in the back of the lathe head is a box of electronic 'stuff'. The owners manual shows it as simply a black box. But, my lathe has a digital read out, couple buttons and a dial to control something. The owners manual was silent on what to do with these controls. So, I called tech support and the answer was "do nothing". These control the hertz (I think) and is pre-set at the factory for American 60. If you plan on taking the lathe on a European vacation, you can adjust there for different electrical systems. ;) So, as they say, do nothing.
It took me quite a while just to unpack. The parts are well secured with welded angle iron braces and bolts. If you scratch your lovely new machine, do e-mail Griz tech support and tell them, they will send a small can of Griz green touch up paint.
Otherwise, the set-up, except for the hernia popping parts, is pretty straightforward. I'll post an 'in use' update pretty soon.
Enjoy and let us know how things are going with it.