Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova lathe question

Nova lathe question

i'm new to woodturning and started with a grizzly mini lathe to make sure i want to pursue this new aspect of woodworking. it's a difficult learning curve but now i need to upgrade my lathe and am cramped on shop space.

the nova 1624-44 got good reviews at FWW and the online videos at woodcraft are great. but i can't find the footprint specs anywhere. looking at the photo and knowing the 24" between centers dim. i'm guessing about 51" long.

anyone owning this lathe care to comment about your experience with it? and measure the length for me? delivered price from woodcraft right now is $975.
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.

Hi Clark, glad to see you posted this out here, as you know, I have the DVR 3000, and I like it very much, I've not seen the 1624 in the flesh, but it is getting good reviews, a lot of lathe for $975, IMHO.

IIRC Tony Falotico has that lathe, as well as Richard Leshner, and Bruce Shiverdecker, maybe one of these gents will chime in!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Clark, the Nova 1624-44 is 40 1/2" long not including the motor. The base is 7 1/2" deep and the overall depth where the pulleys are housed is about 14".

I am guessing the motor adds about another 15" to the overall length.

You can go to the Teknatool website and download the owner's manual in PDF format.

http://www.teknatool.com/

I have the Nova 3000 which is the predecessor to the 1624-44. They are essentially the same lathe but the 1624-44 has reversing capability. I love my lathe.
    Last edited by Mike Stafford; 12-01-2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added info
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Hi Clark, I have the 1644-24 and have been very happy with it. The bed without the outboard unit is about 40 1/2" long, overall it's about 51" from the outside end of the motor to the end of the bed.

I got mine slightly used (4 months old) for a steal. The gentleman I bought it from just had to have the DVR and went out and got one. He kept the stand so I built one.

For the money, I don't think you can go wrong or do better. I've been totally pleased with mine. The variable speed just wasn't worth the extra $1K plus to me (a lot more in my case), but you will probably find many won't agree.

Let us know what you decide -- Good Luck.

Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC010005 (572 x 428).jpg  

Tony, BCE '75

thanks for the input...i needed those dimensions to make sure i have a place for this lathe. the 110v requirement also make it more versatile in placement in my shop as all my 220v outlets are in one spot and much of that equipment has to be on wheels to move in and out of this work area.

i pulled the trigger and ordered the 1624 from woodcraft. next on my list is a chuck that will fit the 1.25-8 spindle. the supernova2 is on sale at woodcraft for $140 with another $25 for the insert. any comments on this chuck???

thanks again...quick responses.
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark O'Neill View Post
    . the supernova2 is on sale at woodcraft for $140 with another $25 for the insert. any comments on this chuck???
    I have two Supernova 2's and a Triton -- Great chucks. That's a great price, they usually go on sale for $159. MAKE SURE the insert has a lock screw to hold it on the lathe spindle, if not and you turn in reverse the chuck can spin off before you realize it's happening. DAMHIKT !! I tend to use the triton more often, but that's just because I have it. I bought one of the supernova's new before I got the Nova and used it on a Delta Midi. I got the second supernova2 and the triton used. Keep your eyes open, watch the forum classifieds, the local classifieds (most of them are online nowadays), and craigslist. There are some good deals out there, but you have to be patient and ready to go when available.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 12-01-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Tony, BCE '75

I will second Tony's enthusiasm for the Nova chucks. I have the original Nova, the Supernova and several of the Supernova II's. I will also second getting the insert that allows you to lock the chuck on the spindle if you intend to do any turning in reverse.

The thing I like most about the Nova chucks is the fact that all jaws except the largest Powergrip set which fits only on the Titan will fit all other Nova chucks. There is no other chuck that currently can say that.

Enjoy that new lathe, I am envious.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Congrats on the upcoming new toy, Clark! I've heard nothing but good stuff about that lathe.

This guy has the best prices I've found for the Supernova 2. His package deals look pretty good compared to the other outlets.

eBay Link
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

There you go Clark, I knew someone would chime in!

Mike I did not know you had the Nova 3000.

Tony, I think you mean the "Titan" chuck, not the Triton chuck, unless Triton, the Oz orange tool maker is now making lathe chucks?

I have the Nova G3, the smaller one than the Super Nova II, and I have the Titan, both are great, I'd buy them again.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Tony, I think you mean the "Titan" chuck, not the Triton chuck
    I stand corrected, you are correct Stuart, I have a Titan chuck

Tony, BCE '75