First snow...

Greg Cook

We got our first '07 Winter snow today. About 3 inches in the ground now, but it's supposed to warm up tomorrow...so it will be short lived. Still kinda pretty and gets you in the holiday mood.

We've had snow 200 miles east of you for a while. Yesterday I decided it was time to get some snow tires on my company van. It took a while but driving from Moscow, Idaho to Lewiston last night I was sure glad I did. The Les Scwabb tire store only had some studded tires and they didn't charge me for the studs. Boy those studded snow tires sure worked well!

Hi Greg :wave:,
Thanks for the beautiful picture, it is so holiday like. I really like the color of your house, it is so fitting.
Scrawl Merry Christmas on the windshield, watch out for the man behind the foot prints, ( wizard of Oz), and you have a prize winning Christmas photo!
Shaz :)

I tell you, I miss the snow, yeah, I know, sounds dumb, but I do.

Studded tires eh Ken? You know they are illegal now in Japan, they say they damage the roads too much :dunno:

I just finished shoveling, snow blowing our driveway. We got 6-7 inches and late yesterday afternoon and evening the snow turned over to sleet. It's now 36 degrees and the snow is getting very heavy. We're supposed to get cold again later today, so if it isn't melted it's gonna freeze.

Studded tires are illegal in Wisconsin. Too much damage to the roads. I'm not sure about chains, but the only thing that you'll see with chains are the county and state plow trucks and even they don't use them very often. The road crews keep the roads drivable except in the worst of blizzards and then they're out as soon as it's possible.

Very few people use snow tires either. I think because the roads are kept clear so well. It's nice not to have to buy and change tires twice a year.

Karl

We are supposed to get 12-16 inches tonight, but I will believe it when I see it. Even for this snowmobiler, anything before Christmas is usually a dusting...just enough to track a cat. Anyway my sled is down, two broken bogie wheels so guess what I'll be doing this afternoon?!!

Just for the record, you can have studded snow tires on here in Maine between October 1st and May 1st, after that they got to be off. Its a 155 dollar fine if your late taking them off, don't ask me how I know that! :)

It is still snowing here in Vitoria with big heavy wet flakes. Driving is a nightmare as most Victorians don't know how to drive in the snow as it never really happens here. We didn't get it as bad as Campbell river ( up island) they recieved 50 cm ( around 25 inches ) in two days. Winter is offically here. On the lighter note it is suppose to start raining heavy and warm up to 12 degrees celcius tomorrow. Oh how I miss the long cold nights of northern BC where it snows and lasts till April / May. :rolleyes: .........Mmmmmm not really:rofl:

We got our first last night. Mostly turned over to sleet and freezing rain though and it made a real mess of the roads. We skipped driving 1/2 way across the state for a family gathering because of it.

A mere 35 miles or so south of Greg, all we received was non stop rain. I was kind of excited to see our new puppy's reaction to the snow, too...:(

Washington state allows for "seasonal' use of studded tires, however, if you get caught with them outside the specified time period, you'll get hit with a fine. As a former WSDOT employee, I know for a fact that if they had their way, they would be banned here as well. Although effective, they reek havoc on asphalt.

Greg, did you ever end up getting your exterior house paint job finished?

We don't get snow often here, but this winter has sure started out differently. We were gone from early Wed morning til late Sunday night to our Daughters for Thanksgiving, and while we were gone it snowed 5 inches here, then the snow kept coming intermittantly in small amounts for two days and then got another 3 inches. The leaves on the trees seem a little late falling this year, (most are still green) so the leaves let the trees catch a LOT of extra snow, and there was a lot of tree damage. My pecan tree lost several large limbs, and one of the pine trees lost a large limb and several small ones. Guess what I did all afternoon today.:rolleyes: I'm sure glad I discovered a good use for my cheap HF ("faux sawzall");) last year, (after installing a good Lennox blade). It works so good, I bought one on sale and took it to my Daughters so I would have it to trim trees and cut up all the large limbs to the size required by the local Trash department for them to pick them up.:thumb:

I was sure glad that it warmed up on Sunday and the only snow remaining by the time we got home was a little on the roof and the lawn. (Did I say "I HATE SHOVELING SNOW"?):( (Did I say "I ALWAYS HATED SHOVELING SNOW"?):D

Well, it stopped snowing, but was cold enough this morning that the snow was still on the ground.

f45e077a.jpg

Then the rain started.... and continued.... and is continuing... over an inch and a half today... :doh:

Oh well, it's back to typical Seattle weather. Unpredictable!

Got almost all the house painted. Few places that I'm still working on, but we will have weather into the high 40's, maybe low 50's over the next few days, so I can get at it.

I may be crazy but I miss that so much. I was raised in Indiana and Christmas lights on a palmetto bush just don't get it!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT

Snow just started falling here, and I mean literally just started falling. They updated the forecast...12-18 inches and Patty's school just called...no school today.

I'll head into work though I guess. They will probably send me home early. The place is good that way. Since we are basically building expensive toys, they don't like anyone to drive in nasty weather, especially the ones from far away like myself (40 miles one way). Its just not worth it. What is one day on a yacht that takes 3½ years to build?

I may be crazy but I miss that so much. I was raised in Indiana and Christmas lights on a palmetto bush just don't get it!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT
Nah, you're not crazy, Don. Although the parts of New Mexico I grew up in don't get tons of snow, they get enough to remind you what time of year it is. I miss the snow. It doesn't matter how many lights you put on a palm tree, it just doesn't look winter-like without some snow around. :rolleyes:

Oh it was nice to see on the ground while it lasted. Causing traffic night mares to all the city dwellers that are not use to snow. It rained all yesterday and washed it all away. Now comes the rain storm and 5 inches of rain expected to dump on us today alone. We have a river watch going on now. Expecting flooding to happen. Ahhh Winter on the wet coast of Canada. Don't you just love it. We don't tan, we rust :rofl:

Oh it was nice to see on the ground while it lasted. Causing traffic night mares to all the city dwellers that are not use to snow. It rained all yesterday and washed it all away. Now comes the rain storm and 5 inches of rain expected to dump on us today alone. We have a river watch going on now. Expecting flooding to happen. Ahhh Winter on the wet coast of Canada. Don't you just love it. We don't tan, we rust :rofl:

Drew, do they make Johnson's Paste wax for people?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT

Well, folks, it's now official: heck is about to freeze over:

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/20064?dayNum=1&from=dayDetails_topnav_undeclared

Snow showers starting tomorrow, and into wednesday. Ground is still warm, so it won't last, but it's pretty early in the season. What they say is true: this place is unfit for human habitation. I've begun my yearly period of longing for southern california. I'll get over it, sometime in april... ;)

Thanks,

Bill