Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some cutting boards for Christmas

Some cutting boards for Christmas

I've been wanting to make some of these for some time, but I always seem to have too many irons in the fire to get any done. Like the jewelry boxes I've been wanting to make our three grown daughters for Christmas. Only I haven't been able to find the mag w/the plans, so I thought I'd give 'em these this year instead. The smallest one is the prototype and I gave it to LOML. She loves it! So I guess I dun good. They are all end grain, and made using Cherry, Maple, Walnut, a very small amount of QS White oak (thin strips for accent), some Butternut and some Beech. All of them were dead flat when I got them home after running them through a big belt sander, but today I noticed that one of them has cupped just a bit. I didn't think that was possible, but what do I know? So I may have to put some feet on it. Anyway, all finished w/mineral oil and ready to box up when they dry. I think the girls will be quite surprised.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutting_boards.jpg  

Wow! Those are very intricate! Nicely done. I'm sure they will be well appreciated.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Very cool, Billy. I really like the pattern. Those will go over well for sure.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've been having problems with mine cupping lately too, I've tried 3/4" squares and 1" x 1 1/2" squares and the latter didn't cup as bad but....still it's disheartening

Great looking boards Billy.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Key View Post
    I've been having problems with mine cupping lately too, I've tried 3/4" squares and 1" x 1 1/2" squares and the latter didn't cup as bad but....still it's disheartening
    Les, these are 1 1/4" thick. I checked them all agin after they sat in the house for a few days and the "cupped" one is flat again (the others are still flat as well). I'm thinking that some of the wood in this particular board didn't like the change between my shop, and the hour or so it spent being transpoted and sanded somewhere else and back. But I didn't have to put feet on it, so I'm happy.

Billy, Those are really beautiful. What a neat way to use up short off cuts from the shop. I have a huge collection of them.

What kinds of wood are included in yours?

Those are great, make sure you sign and date them, as they are going to be in the family for a LONG time!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Nice looking cutting boards. Looks like a lot of work!

Corey

Believe they are the nicest looking cutting boards I have ever seen. Would running through a planer flatten them OK?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire