Christmas Pens

Here are 4 acrylic pens I made for the kids and granddaughters for Christmas. My DIL is a KU fan so she gets the blue one, Son is a KSU fan so he gets the purple one, the youngest granddaughter gets the pink one and the oldest granddaughter wanted the chocolate cherry one. MM'd to 12000 and buffed. 3 slimlines and 1 Euro. Pictures aren't to good but was in a hurry.

Attachments

• Christmas Pens 1.jpg
    Christmas Pens 1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Christmas Pens 2.jpg
    Christmas Pens 2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 24
I like the purple and blue ones best, but they all look great. The finish looks really nice. Those will surely be well-received.

I've started skipping the Micro Mesh steps when I've been turning acrylic pens and bottle stoppers. I saw in an Ed Davidson (YoYoSpin) video where he sands to 400 then goes straight to the tripoli buff. I don't push it quite as much as he does. I've found that wet sanding with 400 then 600 grit, then tripoli (on a fairly firm wheel), and white diamond is quite a bit faster (fewer steps) and I can't see a difference in the finished product. I made an acrylic pen with the top barrel sanded with MM and the bottom done the wet 400/wet 600/tripoli way, and they looked the same to me.

Yep, the pics suck............ :D

But the pens more than make up for it!

Wow, those are eye catchers!

Interesting observations about the finishing of the pens Vaughn.

Cheers!

I started skipping the MM steps a while back and went with 0000 steel wool. Really like the results and a lot cheaper with 18 students in a shop.
Oh, went to Woodcraft yesterday to buy and pick up four more Jet Minis from their classroom. $212.00 each, walked out with a sharpener, four lathes, four pen turning tool kits for $1200.00. Eight Jet Minis going today will be fantastic!!!
Bernie, I almost forgot, great pens. They are going to love them. Your usual good work!!

Last edited:
Bernie, what a beautiful pens, and what a very nice presents for your grandkids, well once I have to give this a try, saw the latest time a lot of selfmade pens, and find this more and more interesting to make a couple of pens.
Great job Bernie. :thumb: