Well, if the title to this tread is any indication, I hope to have this project wrapped up before the end of the year. (I always did work better under a deadline.)
To celebrate the advent of new power to my shop (coming soon), I decided it was time to empty the place and start all over. First and foremost, I needed to clear the wall where the new electrical subpanel will go. I also decided (at LOML's urging) to remove the carpet that the previous owner had placed in the garage. (He used it as an office/shop for his data cable company. Nice, clean work with no sawdust.) The carpet was not conducive to woodworking, however, since it trapped a lot of dust and made rolling my "mobile" tools virtually impossible. Great on the feet, but bad on all other counts. We decided on a speckled epoxy painted floor to match the adjacent laundry room.
I am taking Monday and Tuesday off from work to try to get as much knocked out as possible. I started Friday night, and worked all day and night (until about 2:00 AM) Saturday. Here's a relatively quick tour, showing where I started from Friday night.
The shop is a bit messier than usual, but this is an indication of how much stuff I'm trying to fit in there. This is the view as you walk into the shop from the laundry room, standing at the SW corner of the room. Built-in cabinets galore, and the lathe on the right. (Like my high-tech chip shield to keep the shelves on the lathe stand clean?)
Here's the view from the NW corner. You can see the lathe in the foreground, with the dust collector in the middle of the room (easier hose runs) and some old surplus drawer cabinets in the background, along the only "open" wall in the shop. This is the wall where the new electrical subpanel will be going, but I don't yet know exactly where.
Now standing in the NE corner, you can see the 6" Grizzly jointer in tucked under the overhang of the Incra rig on the tablesaw. It's not real visible in the pic, but there's a metal stand between the back of the tablesaw and the back of the lathe. (It's a stout square tube steel lathe stand that was given to me with a cheap lathe that I threw away.) It serves as an outfeed table (unless I'm ripping something long, then I have to move things around). It's a parking place for the Big Gulp dust hood for the lathe. Sometimes I clamp the dust hood to the headstock of the lathe. That's what the plywood "wing" on one side of the scoop is for.
Here's another shot from the same corner, looking a bit more to the east. You can see part of my "bench" in the foreground on the left, the stack of surplus drawer cabinets, and my lumber and clamp storage pile. Somewhere in the process of re-doing the shop, I intend to address the clamp and lumber storage situation.
And here's the closest thing to a bench that I have. It's an old, heavy oak table that LOML's departed dad used to own. It's too low to be real useful as a workbench, but I've used it for assembly, glue-ups, and, right now, storage. You can also see my little Wilton mini lathe, set up for use as a second buffer. (I also have a three-wheel system for the bigger Sears lathe.) Buried underneath the stack of boxes towards the back of the scene is a Black & Decker Workmate, sitting on a failed attempt at mounting a Ridgid Herc-U-Lift mobile base to the Workmate. It may work better once I get rid of the carpet.
To be continued...